Turn off RAID Unit or leave it on?

Jimmy Pierce

This is probably a very subjective topic. I have been using a RAID unit with 8TB (2TB x 4), and am not sure whether to leave it on at my office or shut it off every day when I leave. I know that some people leave computers and such on at all times, and I myself put the computer to sleep 5 days a week, and shut it down on Friday. The RAID unit is an iStorage Pro iT4-UFER with Samsung F4 drives. It cannot be put to sleep, at least that I am aware of.

What are other member's thoughts?

Thanks in advanced.

I see no reason why you shouldn't shut it down every Friday, just like your computer.

There is a school of thought that starting some gear up is more stressful than letting it idle. I think that those days are pretty much behind us. I also think that there's something to be said about saving electricity. Finally, your RAID may stay warm even while it's idle. If that's the case, the heat that it generates, along with the turning of the motors will cause it more wear than restarting it every morning. Or at least every Monday.

I put the computer to sleep at the day's end. Once in a while I reboot. I never switch off external hard storage. The LaCie hard drive goes to sleep when the computer does. Not so the Iomegas.

Last edited:
Back