Architecture software?

PDX_DVX

Does anyone know of any good programs that can allow me to make blueprints? I am soon gonna be moving into a bigger room of the house (sister is going away to college) and I hope to change things around, and make it a little more edit station friendly. Problem is, I am a horrible artist, and deffinetly have no architecture skills. Are there any programs that will allow me to make blueprints and/or 3d renders of the room when I input the dimensions, so that I can plan out where I want my new desk to go, where the lights in the roof will go etc etc? Also, does anyone know if there are any forums/web resources that could help me decide how I design the room to be edit friendly?

Re: Architecture software?

AutoCAD is what some of my engineering friends use but its expensive. If you want a user freindly 3d program to make models, try bryce3d. You know you're going to need alittle egineering skills to acomplish something like this. You sure don't want to design a building and then have it collapes. :)

AutoCAD is a great program but insanely complex. Ultra expensive too. When I need to do quick 3D layouts and plans for a client I use Punch Professional Home Design Suite. Quick and easy to use and $70. Drag and drop functionality.

http://www.punchsoftware.com/pro.htm

AutoCAD is the top dog for architecture. But, not what you need. One of the low-end cad apps is best. Check out the AutoSketch or QuickCAD products.

Also, if you have MS Office you might also have Visio. That's a good app for doing simple 2D drafting. There's even drag&drop cad symbols.

i've used autocad light and it will do more than you'll ever need plus it is a fraction of the price of the full blown app. Not too complex at all

Do a google on "free cad software". Some, like Turbocad and Smartdraw offer full (older) versions for free. Others offer 30day trials. (For the trials, make sure they are fully functional and allow you to SAVE.) There are piles of em to sort through.

My real job is as an architect. I use Datacad. It is far less expensive than Autocad and much better. It's 3D capabilities far exceed Autocad's in functionality and simplicity. Datacad is still expensive for your needs though, particularly if you are only going to use it for the one design. Also, to make any sophisticated CADD program work, it takes years. Why not save yourself some money and time, just get either a designer or an architect to do your plans.

Punch Architectural 18. I have a copy around here if you'd like. Maybe some s&h and I can send it to you.
It does standard 2d blupints, then automatically makes them 3d so that you can walk through them with POV. Has built in stock of already rendered furniture/fixtures.
Nice lighting effects for rendering.
49dollarxbox@mail.com

It's also designed for home owners, so it's really UNcomplex.
Think it goes for $100+ at the store.

[quote author=GuyS link=board=gensoft;num=1106430367;start=0#6 date=02/19/05 at 16:28:40]I use Datacad. It is far less expensive than Autocad and much better. It's 3D capabilities far exceed Autocad's in functionality and simplicity.[/quote]

Yes, for true architectural features you would want Autodesk Architectural Desktop. And that product blows Datacad away.

Back