Sony Vegas and DVCpro50

maltess

Hello to everyone from Spain, here I am with a few problemas , can I capture DVCpro50 on tape with Sony Vegas?

if I can´t , wahat would be the minimun requirements and proper program to edit and capture DVCpro 50 in a PC

If I had to sepend to much money, would be somehow possible to transfer digitally from DVCprp50 to Mini Dv without going through the computer? I would not cara abput the downgrade to edit.

Thanks very much for yopur help

best ragards

Vegas doesn't support DVCPro50.

You could download the trial version of EDIUS Broadcast from www.canopus.com

That'll give you 30 days. You can just transcode it in EDIUS to a VEGAS friendly format for editing in Vegas, if you prefer.

That's the cheapest (free) way to do it that I can think of.

EDIT: And, please do not crosspost (post the same question more than once).

Later,
Jason

But Vegas does support DVCPRO50, all you need are the free codecs from matrox.

you can import and render out DVCPRO25 and 50.

It's always worked for me.

Nick

Right, if you download the Matrox codecs it works. The problem is how do you get the footage captured into Vegas? Vegas doesn't have a capture app that works for DVCPRO50.

My solution was to use DV Rack 2.0 HD, which does capture DVCPRO50 and makes .AVI files that Vegas can work with.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you had a decklink card couldn't you capture through the SDI as pro50 ( I don't have a card so i have never tried it ).

It would seem like a bit of a waste if you could only capture through the SDI as DV.

Nick

Thanks so much for the answers.

Hello, is nice to know I coud use vegas, but I need a capture card as well. From what I heard I can´t use a regular firewire computer input. I talked to a store and they said a matrox that would work for Premiere pro would be about 1500 bucks . Can I go with another software and capture solution cheaper than that for DVCpr50?

I am thinking that in that case, to buy the latest and more basic IMAC and work with final cut would be a better solution cause it cost the same than the matrox and does not need a capture device.

I shoot a documentary last year about a dead singer from Sevilla, spain and the producers completely interfiered in the project so I dont like the results. I could kept the masters tape and I want to do a cut on my owm, but I need to upgrade as you see and don´t know the best options.

at the begining I wanted to just convert the material to Mini DV and edit at home with that , I don´t care about the lost in quiality. But I want to get that conversion digitally done and not analog, that would be too much loss os quality. I am getting crazy finding a way to do that without going trough the computer. Does anyone knows if I can do such a thing? I tried to connect the firewire out of a DVCpro50 player to the firewire input of a MiniDv camera and it does not work since the camara does not do the conversion, I don´t know

best regards

Regular firewire input works just fine, you certainly don't need a capture card. DV Rack 2.0 HD (also known as Adobe OnLocation) would do just fine working with any regular firewire input.

Barry does that mean we can capture directly from a dvcpro50 camera onto the vegas timeline. Without any plugins ? Direct firewire ?
Also how is the quality of footage from a dvcpro50 hd match up to HDV ?
I really havent worked with dvcpro50 and would love to know.

You can capture DVCPRO50 footage but not directly to the Vegas timeline, because Vegas doesn't support the DVCPRO50 or DVCPRO-HD firewire transport protocol. You'd have to use something like DV Rack 2.0 HD to capture the footage.

DVCPRO50 is standard-def, HDV is high-def. DVCPRO50 is basically Digital Betacam quality; it's one of the highest-quality standard-def systems ever made. HDV is the lowest-quality HD format ever made. But even so, it's HD and DVCPRO50 is SD, so you can't really compare them at all.

HDV is in no way, shape, form, or concept in any way close to DigiBeta.

But HDV is high-def, and DigiBeta is standard-def. Read what I wrote again -- HDV is the least-quality way ever invented to record a high-def signal. DigiBeta is almost the best-quality way ever invented to record a standard-def signal.

But DigiBeta is limited to 720x486 resolution, whereas HDV handles up to 1440x1080. One is standard-def, one's high-def.

Back