OTHER: PX270 OIS problem?

It appears to be a design defect, but the engineer I spoke to about my camera said Panasonic was hoping to fix the issue via a firmware update. I mean if they decided to sent my camera back to me without any repair (because there is no repair right now), than I'd call that a design problem likely on ALL PX270s. I will give them a reasonable amount of time to come up with a fix before I take any more action.

Well, it's official: All three of my PX270s have the OIS issue. The footage from yesterday's wedding shoot is littered with them, and all behaving much like the footage that Glen posted: A shot with very little camera movement suddenly jerks to the side. This defect is rather stealthy too, as it is much less apparent on the camera's small LCD screen than on a 24" (or larger) monitor.

Just figures that a few weeks ago when I was playing around at home, the issue was very intermittent and seemingly was triggered by performing "tripod-like" pans and tilts. What I SHOULD have done was crash a wedding and attempt to capture a once-in-a-lifetime scene...like yesterday, THAT would have made it rear its ugly head.

I intend to talk with Panasonic and my dealer to get their take on this significant issue. There is an awful lot to like about these cameras (as well as the promise of what they may become once "finished', but this is a show stopper for me.

I bought the PX270 in Cologne/Germany in April. I made exactly the same experiences using OIS. Apparent jerks during 1 or 2 frames. As if someone would hit my ellbow slightly while panning. Looks very disturbing and irritating. Serial Nr: C4TCA0044.
Astonishingly there is little information about the problem. Till now no support from dealer or Panasonic.

I bought the PX270 in Cologne/Germany in April. I made exactly the same experiences using OIS. Apparent jerks during 1 or 2 frames. As if someone would hit my ellbow slightly while panning. Looks very disturbing and irritating. Serial Nr: C4TCA0044.
Astonishingly there is little information about the problem. Till now no support from dealer or Panasonic.

Send it back and get your money back. I don't think there is any rep from Panasonic watching this forum like there used to be. Jan is gone, etc. I might be wrong. But, the 270 is a dud with the OIS problem. I'm keeping my 250 and looking at the new Canons and Sonys. They have a lot to offer and their OIS has always been better than Panasonics.

Last edited:
I want to be optimistic and have said I will wait until the upcoming firmware before making judgment of Panasonic. If you purchased in April it would probably be tough to return the camera. For anybody who could return their cameras, I would to give yourself options by returning the camera. If the firmware comes through then you can buy them back. If Panasonic falls on its face and makes another video with the grumpy guy saying "pros don't need OIS..." then you can move to another company.

Let's hope they live up to their reputation of being a company that supports professionals.

I agree with Bassman - return it if you can and buy back once a fix is announced.

Hand in hand with a good OIS is the need to have AF working for you when you are too busy to control focus manually.

I have the 160 where the primary problem was slow AF with a bump at the time it settled down.

A "fix" did come along (not free) - it consisted of a manual "push auto" option to achieve quick lockin to focus.

I would echo the sentiment about returning the product. I am loathe to even consider buying a product that is incomplete. There are capabilities that were supposed to be available in future updates with the firmware. I do not believe all of those have been made available. Not that it would likely happen, but what would someone do if they bought a camera and then it either had a problem, or unreleased capabilities that were promised, and then the manufacturer goes belly up?

I hope that Panasonic gets it together and fixes the issues. I really like their products but would be reluctant to buy the Px-270 right now.

There is a $1000 trade in for HPX170, 200 users... but if the 270 is not working as it should (with OIS) is it worth it? Sounds like they fff'd up and now want to just get rid of the defective ones

YES this camera is most definitely worth it we just took advantage of the rebate to get our 2nd PX270. This is amazing Camera a full Broadcast Camera way better than our HPX 250 you will have to spend way way more money to get a better Camera.

Just got off the phone with Panasonic and they are going to get me a replacement camera.

I never received a replacement camera, only my camera returned with the promise of a fix down the road. It is now Oct. 29, nearly 3 months later, and no finished OIS, only a step forward with the latest firmware. While I very much appreciate the notice from Panasonic the OIS will be further improved in December. Use OIS with caution on non-critical recordings if there is such a thing.

Last edited:
How bad is this OIS problem? Is it bad enough to discourage potential buyers?

I shoot a lot of action sports via handheld with OIS. I just purchased a new HPX250 from B&H because the price dropped a bunch after the HPX255 came out. I'm contemplating if I should send it back in favour of the PX270. It just seems like this OIS problem could really cause me grief. Thoughts?

There is no "problem" anymore, just some room for improvement. The OIS is very good right now and I am confident it will be very good to great after the next update. I would not favor the 250 over the 270 as the 270 is the next step forward.

OIS is much better with the firmware that came out in October. I have 16 of these at my full time job and we have been having major issues with the servo zoom rocker switch, we've had 4 (maybe more) go back for this issue. We also had one that panasonic said had water damage that we didn't realize. I'm concerned about the servo rocker, there isn't any kind of gasket around it. Take a look at it and you can see PCB's exposed. I'll try and advise if I get any useful updates.

OIS is much better with the firmware that came out in October. I have 16 of these at my full time job and we have been having major issues with the servo zoom rocker switch, we've had 4 (maybe more) go back for this issue. We also had one that panasonic said had water damage that we didn't realize. I'm concerned about the servo rocker, there isn't any kind of gasket around it. Take a look at it and you can see PCB's exposed. I'll try and advise if I get any useful updates.

Ah, just another problem. This is making me want to keep the HPX250.

We have 2 PX270s and a HPX250 I have had no problems with the PX270s and they are noticeable better than the HPX250 Better image, Better in low light, Better to hand hold, Better zoom lens & rocker..... I can not think of aspect of the HPX250 which I miss.

I don't have the PX270 but has always been curious to know how well does it perform with preset 5600K wb? Does it retain 90% accuracy throughout the day? Obviously won't work correctly during sunrise or sunset, but at least fairly close throughout the other hours of the day. The HPX-250 was not so great. Must manual WB every other hour or so.

We have 2 PX270s and a HPX250 I have had no problems with the PX270s and they are noticeable better than the HPX250 Better image, Better in low light, Better to hand hold, Better zoom lens & rocker..... I can not think of aspect of the HPX250 which I miss.

Back