HPX250: HPX250 and a Ninja?

NorBro

Anyone here ever use the Ninja or another external recorder with the 250?

I want the quality in 720p to be a bit better...will a recorder help?

I'm looking into this and have contacted Atomos, see details below.........

Your ticket has been updated. Please check if any further action is required
Your ticket details:
Subject: Panasonic AG-HPX 250 - Start/Stop Record trigger?
Ticket ID: 43945
Department: Support
New Update:
Hi Phil;
Thank you for passing this on. We have had the HPX-250 at Trade Shows and used the HD-SDI for triggering the Start/Stop record on the Atomos Samurai Blade.
There is a setting in the Samurai Blade for Panasonic as the source Camera for Stop/Start Record. Also the HPX-250's internal settings need to enable the HD-SDI output to include the TC and control. Maybe people are not doing this on the forum you sent?
We do not have a HPX-250 in the Customer Support Center for review of this right now. I will have to get a hold of our Panasonic contact to see how they could help.
Thanks again for contacting us on this,
Matt
===========================
Matt Ivey
President
Atomos Inc.

It is my understanding that the front end is the limiting factor in the 250, and that higher bitrate recordings have a negligible effect on picture quality.

I'd have to agree with Nate. AVC-Intra is 100mbps 10bit 4:2:2 Intra-frame recording. That is some very high quality stuff there. ProRes isn't going to give you much over that. The limiting factor is most likely the chips & no matter what you put after the chips, you're not going to see improvements.

Now ProRes 4:2:2 on the back of a AVCHD camera that only shoots 4:2:0, then you'll see some improvement. But even still, it really depends on what you're doing. Talking head stuff really doesn't need a lot. Green screen - special effects - with lots of movements & contrast, then yes, a better codec can pay off.

10bit at 4:2:2 is very high. I have never had any issues when useing those settings. You will not gain anymore from an external device. If you need more, than a different camera would possiably suit better for your job at hand.

Back