MXF to Digital Betacam Tape

EDV

I know I probably should have posted this in the post production forum, but many of the questions posted there go unanswered.

So, anyway....here's the problem:

You are a HVX/HPX user, and have just done this music video / tv commercial for an important client using your Panasonic P2 system. Everything is cool... except that the TV station requests Digital Betacam Tape only.

What do you do?

The easy (but expensive) way out is to send it to a post house. What if you want to learn the process yourself?
Is it just a matter of exporting the final edited clip to *Digital Betacam* Tape from the timeline in After Effects/Premiere/Final Cut Pro via SDI ? Can that be done?
We're assuming a Blackmagick Card with SDI IN and SDI OUT is installed in the system, and that a *hired* Digital Betacam Camera is plugged into the computer.

Thanks in advance,

EDV

the 1 day rental cost of a digi beta recorder deck (+associated transport and hassle) is very likely more than a post house would charge you to make a dub from a data dvd or hard drive.

and FWIW, once youve edited your program in FCP. your product is no longer "MXF" so if youre using that terminology with the post houses youve been talking to (in regards to what youre providing them with) that may be why youre getting high price quotes...

Last edited:
I know FCP works like that, but After Effects, Premiere, Edius, they all work with native MXF files. What I wanted to know is if you can "print to tape" (digital betacam tape in this case) from the After Effects Timeline.

Back