DVX200 - some screengrabs

diegocervo

I need to say that I love the colors coming out of this thing. They are spotted on.
After years with Sony, this is the first time that I don't have to correct the skintone in DaVinci.

Dynamic range is also acceptable. I used the GH4 still like scene, with minor corrections.
I prefer Vlog, but I fear the 8bit codec.

These scenes are lighted with just 2 practicals, 1 astra 1x1 as a fill with 1/2 CTB and a Lupoled 1k bounced on the wall in front of the model.
What do you think?

Untitled_1.2.1.jpgUntitled_1.4.1.jpgUntitled_1.5.1.jpg

The lighting is a bit flat for me, but this looks like typical stock or TVC footage...which is to say it looks EXTREMELY good. People diss DVX200 because it's not a Red or whatever, but work like this looks just as good to my eye...and, honestly, I've seen some crappy footage from Red cameras. All it proves is it's up to the people behind (and in front of) the camera that makes that tool look good. And, man, you certainly help prove this camera is capable of some terrific footage. Don't be afraid of 8bit until you have to do heavy post work!

Thanks Jason, you're right...these footages are for stock agencies :)
I will second your advice on shooting some vlog in 8bit when the scene will call for it. Next week I will shoot outdoors and I will switch to log if my current scene cannot cope with the high contrast that I'm supposed to find there.
Cheers

Wow...terrific footage...doesn't look like it came from a "camcorder"...very filmic.

Is the DVX200 too heavy for handheld run n' gun at nearly 5 lbs but not sitting on a shoulder?

It depends. It's not a lightweight camera, but IMO it is ergonomic and the weight is well distributed.
Of course this doesn't mean that you won't be tired after 8 consecutive hours holding the camera :cheesy:

What I can tell you is that the DVX200 allows 3 points of contacts - where the back of the camera sits in part on your shoulder - or 4 when you press the right side of your head against the EVF, tilted 90 degrees up.
This, coupled with the excellent OIS, makes the footage very stable up to 100mm (200mm full frame equivalent FOV).

Wow...terrific footage...doesn't look like it came from a "camcorder"...very filmic.

Is the DVX200 too heavy for handheld run n' gun at nearly 5 lbs but not sitting on a shoulder?

I've shot a decent amount of footage in run n gun over the last few weeks. It's very manageable in that aspect. I find myself resting the back of the camera on my shoulder between takes but it's not so much that the camera is that heavy, it's just convenient and for me, easier than setting the camera down and picking it back up again especially if I'm wearing a wireless receiver on my belt rather that having it mounted on the camera. Like anything else, you get used to it.

Back