DP needs computer system advice!!!

G

I saw the NLE discussion. I know that there are a few good choices and recent upgrades thereof. But first things first!
I'm a DP and lighting director who doesn't really get the whole post thing. But I'm ready to put my toe in the water if somebody will tell me what kind of computer I should get and how much memory and other stuff that is relevant. And what about software-based waveforms and vectorscopes? Help...I'm lost in what I perceive to be the ever-so-complicated world of desktop editing and post-production/NLE stuff. Thanks in advance for your expertise and patience in responding to my remedial cry for help.

Re: DP needs computer system advice!!!

Ok I will bite!

I guess it is a matter of pref. for what computer you get. I am sure you would get many DVXuser options on what to get PC or MAC.
I am PC guy myself, A system Admin on Hill AF in Utah.
I have been building PC's for about 15 years and have tried to keep up with new technology.
My experience covers everything from Manufactured computers to "Build Your Own" systems.
I build my for many different people. This is not to say that a manufactured computer is bad. It is not!
I just tell people if I bought a manufactured computer, the moment i opened it I would format and restore the system with my own software configuration. Most manufactures put unwanted and needed "shareware" Shitz software that it not needed and you will never use.
this is not including all the "TSR" Programs that load in your systray taking up valuable memory resources.

Advice:
1. Don’t get the most expensive if you are trying to save money. (There will always be a faster processor tomorrow).

2. AMD= 2600+ or 2800+ Intel= 2.8, 3.2 Gig
In regards to performance of the two the AMD has a slower front side bus than the Intel but the AMD will still out perform the Intel in most circumstances. ie.. 3200+ V\s 3.2 Gig.
The price difference is what you need to look at as well.
AMD is cheaper for the speed and performance.
This is not to say that Intel is a bad chip. It is not!

3. Memory... as much as you can! I would start with a Gig of memory. Kingston high performance is good just make sure the system board supports it.

4. Hard drive... Lots of space.
A 100 to 250 Gig of Hard drive space 7200Rpm Internal or External. Fire or USB dont matter.
If you decide to go scsi this will be fine as well (just pricey)

5. I would personally get one with a DVD burner.

6. Software or OS: I really like XP but 2000 might be the better choice if you have compatibility problems.
Vegas: This is what I use it rocks! I used to be a premier guy and I thing it is great as well it was my first NLE. Back in the early 90's I edited on a linear system. Premier was great because it felt the familiar.
But Vegas I love and want the upgrade bad.

6. Monitor: I have a 19" and a 17" duel.
It is better to have 2- 17"s than one 19" as work flow go's
LCD would be great! Too pricey for me though.

Sound card: Do 7.1, Creative Lab.

There might be other factors but this would get you though.

Again alot of this would be preference.
I am sure others would agree and dissagree.

You see there is a battle out there ( always has been).

PC Vs MAC
Intel Vs AMD
OS Vs OS
Vegas vs Prem
Final Vs Avid

You Pick!

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the advice. My head's swimmin' now...

I use a multitude of NLEs, both Apple and PC based. What is your ultimate goal? If PC based, Vegas is a very strong candidate that is very capable...I haven't used the new version 5 yet, but 4.0 is an excellent software based NLE. I personally use a Canopus DVStorm system (PC based, Hardware NLE accelerated) with Adobe Premiere (although Canopus's NLE EDIUS 2.0 is a rock solid very capable app that does practically everything in realtime and very well. Very intuitive interface and the workflow is top knotch).

On the Mac side, I use Final Cut Pro (newly release version 4.5 HD). It is a great application. I am still getting used to the workflow, but the application is very powerful and includes a great titler (Live Type) and soundtrack composer (Soundtrack). With a G5 based system, FCP runs very well and will do most things in realtime. It supports DVX advanced mode 24PA directly as does Vegas.

There are so many good NLEs these days...I have been working with some real crap for many years. Today, you get so much for your money.

Andrew
Crystal Clear Media

Final Cut Pro on a Mac

Final Cut Pro on a Mac

I believe that Final Cut Pro will become the de facto standard of editing within the next 5 years. Vegas is an excellent, affordable NLE, but for a professional jumping in, FCP's ease of use and industry prospects make it the system of choice....

providing you don't already own a high end pc.

Any Mac currently sold will support Final Cut Pro. You may need to add memory to some lower end models.

erikb

Our DP has just gotten a Final Cut Pro Set-up (Dual G5). He really likes the capabilities of the the software and especially the color correction.

I personally use it myself and like it as well. (Even though I'm not a DP)

Skip

Yup I am a DP as well and I have a G5 editing system with FCP and I love it. I have been shooting and editing for about 10 years now. A few years ago, I bought a cheap $99 video capture card from Circuit City called Pinnacle StudioDC10 Plus! Even though it was "el cheapo" it gave me insight on how to edit on a timeline, how to do basic effects with transitions and even had a titler that came with it! When I got my FCP system last fall, It didn't take me long to figure out how to use that system. Now don't get me wrong, I am STILL learning my system! But I have edited 4 projects since I bought the system last fall.

Back