Starting from scratch

ericengland33

I just ordered my DVX-B :)

So now I need a basic kit to start shooting my shorts. I don't have a ton of money (maybe around 1500) that I'm willing to part with. I really want the basics. What should I get?

I know I need a UV filter, correct? It needs to be on at all times? Does it go on after the lens to protect the lens from getting scratched? School me on that, please. I'm very ignorant to digital anything.

I want a wide anlge lens. I was told to get a .6x wide Century Optics. I also want a tripod and maybe a jib for a crane, if I can swing it. I'll also need some good audio equipment and a case for my stuff. Can you guys point me in the right direction with some links and product numbers?

Also, does anyone have any good insurance places to look at to insure all of my stuff? Thanks guys! :dankk2:

Eric, what type of shooting are you planning on doing? What you need varies widely if you are doing indie filmmaking, or docos, or news gathering, etc.

Joshua Provost said:
Eric, what type of shooting are you planning on doing? What you need varies widely if you are doing indie filmmaking, or docos, or news gathering, etc.
Most likely, I'll be doing the "learning" thing. I'm going to shoot anything and everything to gets some hands on learning. But I'd say I'll be doing more indie filmmaking than anything else.

Isnt the size of filter you need a 72mm?

As for the UV filter definitely get one - a good one runs around $100 and is cheaper to replace than your lens should anything scratch or break it. I THINK the DVX uses a 72 mm filter - double by looking on the lens or manual - on the end of the lens you should see markings about zoom and f-stop ratings etc along with a 72mm (I've got an hvx so I'm not 100% sure on the dvx). I've got a b&w that I like but I would think a Tiffen would be fine too. And yes it just threads on the front of the lens.

As for the wide angle lens I would spend my money elsewhere. As Joshua said it depends on what you are going to shoot though.

For "general" shooting (whatever that is), I'd get a tripod (I've got a libec H38 head that I like alot, but the Bogen 503 kits get decent reviews as a cheap tripod setups), a mic boom or stand depending on what you are filming (audio from mics mounted on camera is not worth it no matter what), an oktava mk102 hyper cardioid mic (go search for this mic in the audio forum and get the KSSM shockmount and BBG too), or if your going to be shooting mainly outdoors maybe the Rode NTG1 (its what I have and it works, but I shouldve gotten the oktava as I shoot mainly indoors right now), 25 ft of XLR cable (should be long enough?), and some lights (I built some of the DIY Kinos you see around the DIY forum for about $80 a piece and I like them for interview lighting, but I'm still working on getting this lighting thing down, so search around for that). As most movies are made up of light and sound though I would concentrate on those two things first. Get a solid reliable setup there and then worry about cranes and stabilizers and wide angle lenses. The tripod is nice just to get some good still shots. Go watch TV or movies or whatever you are interested in and most any story can be told without moving the camera much. As for cases, a Pelican is pretty standard for a hard case, but I like my Kata backpack alot too bp502 I think. Oh and get some headphones too if you want decent audio. Sony 7506 is the most reccomended but I have yet to upgrade my crappy sony studio headphones (they're muddy sounding, but lightweight and I already had them).

Not sure on insurance - mines on my homeowners. Good luck fighting off accessory acquisition disorder... I've got a mild case...

Regardless of the camera, if you wanna do films, invest in basic 3 head lighting kit & learn how to use it properly!!

Personally I wouldnt use a UV filter as lense protection, a clear lense is fine.

Seriously if you only have an extra $1500 right now, scratch the wide angle and the crane. Invest in audio and lighting (unless you happen to know a guy with his own audio equipment that knows what he is doing). Make your own dolly, theres heaps of info on audio in the audio forum and DIY dollies in the DIY forum. Then of course you havent mentioned a tripod as yet, you already have one?

No tripod yet. That's something I have on my mind, but forgot to list. Any good tripods at a good price?

Also, are there any special/certain kinds of DV tapes I need to look for?

Depending on how much you have to spend....I got this bogen 503 combo http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=387808&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

for under 500. I went with this after reading some posts about it here. You could also go with a bogen 501 combo, which will be less. Maybe someone else can comment on this. Of course you could also spend $2000 on a better Bogen/Manfrotto combo.

As far as tapes go, you should stick with [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ or AY-DVM63PQ they hold up well and are also recommended by panasonic and this forum. Whatever you do, when you pick a tape brand stick with it as to not gum up your heads, being that each tape manufacturer use different lubricant.[/FONT]

Do you have to order all tapes online? Or are there some places that carry them nationwide? I live in Arkansas, so a lot of the places online arent near me..

I bought my tapes online, you'd have to search around your town to see. At bH and I'm sure other online stores, you get a discount buying bulk.
I don't own a pelican, I do have a cinebags bag, it's soft but has rigid sides and removable inner organizers. I'm not sure what the average dvxuser uses, maybe someone else will post some more info for you.

Will Pound said:
I bought my tapes online, you'd have to search around your town to see. At bH and I'm sure other online stores, you get a discount buying bulk.
I don't own a pelican, I do have a cinebags bag, it's soft but has rigid sides and removable inner organizers. I'm not sure what the average dvxuser uses, maybe someone else will post some more info for you.
Thank you, sir :dankk2:

I guess I'll hold off on the lenses. So what else should I get besides a good case and tripod? Where should I look for goot lighting equipment?

Bump. Anymore suggestions? I'm still fishing around in the dark. I've learned what tapes to get. I still dont know much about tripods, so I don't know what to look for and what to avoid. I also don't know jack about lighting (I need to learn about the settings on the camera as well, but I learned very quickly at my first job that it's hard since I'm colorblind). Thanks for any and all input!

You should go to the lighting part of the forum. There is alot of good suggestions for where to learn more about lighting. You'll get plenty of info on suggested lights, and what you should get based on your budget. You may want to wait until you get barry's book. I'm pretty sure he covers most everything you have questions on. I just recently dove into the world of DVX, so I too I'm waiting on a few purchases until I get Barry's book.
As far as where to buy your accessories, stick with BH, Adorama, calumetphoto, EVS, etc.. The best thing you can do is search on tripods in this forum, you'll find a plethora of info. It'll really come down to how much money you can spend. A fluid head is definitely a better tripod head. I learned that from the forum.
Good luck.

Thanks man :dankk2:

I think I've forgotten about lighting. I don't care to spend that much money. I'm now just looking for a polarizer or a UV to help protect my lens. Along with a case and tripod.

Back