newbie: specific use DVX100 or DVC60 + computer???

pdient

Hello All:

I believe I am within the limits of propriety asking for your help on this forum.

I instruct at university and intend to put all of my lectures on DVD. Evaluating all the various manufacturers, and forums created by enthusiasts . . . have concluded that Panasonic is the best product for my purposes. However I need some advice here please.

I have been in a quandary over this issue for several days now.:undecided

After much pricing and bird-dogging . . . . It turns out that the cost of a DVX100B (with 5yr warranty) is within a few cents!! of a DVC60 (with 4 yr warranty) AND a PC editing system that I can build myself with the very latest Intel technology (core duo) best motherboard (2 firewire channels) and a massive raid array (4 x 200gig SATAII HDD and a PCIe raid card).

I know the DVC is a step down but my rationale is that this project will take some time as I am a novice and will have to learn so much. However, by the time I have some mastery, I anticipate HD will be much more common place and negate the better quality of the DVX. Am I mistaken that at a not too distant point HD will have the inertia to usurp SD?

Anyway, I feel compelled to consider the DVC60 as a viable alternative although the DVX100B appears to be a fine example of modern engineering put to good use!

Any help or critical evaluation would be appreciated as I have time to consider before the rebate period on the DVX100B expires.:dankk2:

[FONT=&quot]Best to all!![/FONT]

Tough decision

Tough decision

The DVC- 30 might be a better option because of its compact size. It will maximize what you can do wtih the camera, and it will give you extra money for accessories. Either camera is good for the money.

BUT...

The DVX100b gives amazing images, and it never ceases to amaze me what people can do with this camera. But many times that requires good lights which will cost you money. But that aside the DVX is many times better than th DVC series. Also consider how fast your current box is and think about how much you need a fast computer. Because no computer can fix bad imagry....

Your choice...trying to help,
Michael

If you're just shooting lectures I'd go with the cheaper camera and PC. It's not like you really "need" the film look on a fixed shot of a person standing there talking.

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input

Thanks for your responses.

I certainly am impressed with the quality of the subscribers to this forum! Great community indeed:thumbsup:

Adios

WARNING RANT:

The DVC 60 is a bulky piece of crap. Ok, that's not fair. As a video camera, for the price, it's not bad. But what are you going to use this for? Are trying to shoot narrative stuff. Is your goal something along the lines of actual film? Then stay away from the DVC 60 because it'll be vastly inferior in terms of image quality and I doubt you'll learn an amazing amount. DVX100 feels more like a film camera and looks more like a film camera. The DVC60 will help you practice for a career in broadcast TV. It depens on what you want to do but, I'm guessing that you're like most and thinking narrative stuff.

Back