Wide Nikon Lens for AF100

sabbott

Hi there,

Sorry if this topic has already been thoroughly covered.....

I'm finding the crop factor a challenge when using my AF100. I want to get a really wide lens (preferably Nikon, since I have the Nikon adaptor). I have the Nikon 18-200 mm lens, but want to go much wider than that will let me.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Some of the wide Nikon lenses I've done some reading on say they shouldn't be used on video cameras.

Any tips appreciated!

cheers.
sarah

Wow...wider than 18mm huh?
Well I suppose 18mm isn't very wide with the crop factor.

I got a Mitakon Lens Turbo speedbooster Nikon to M4/3 for my GH2's and it's fantastic. No loss of sharpness and the speed and wideness boost are great.
And I shoot VERY sharp Nikkor lenses so I'm picky about anything losing sharpness for me.
It cost about $135.

As for wider Nikon lenses - I have not really heard of anything wider than 20mm that doesn't start injecting horrendous barrel distortion. But some cats I know use the wide Rokinons and say they are pretty darn good for the price.
At least if you're using a fixed length prime lens - you can compensate for the lens distortion in post pretty easily because you'll always be compensating for basically the same amount.

I had a couple of wide lenses with the AF100. The Tokina 11 - 16 is really crisp. I also had an Olympus 11- 22 which was a great lens but it required a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. I happen to still have that adapter if you wanted it cheap. I never had one but people really like that Panasonic 7 - 14.

The widest Nikon I have is a Zeiss ZF 21. I never got any lower than a 24 mm on a Nikon AIS I have. The Nikon mount Sigma 18 - 35 is supposed to be really good too.

I'm not sure which adapter you have but the Mitakon, mentioned above or the Metabones makes everything wider so you may want to weigh the cost of that against buying more lenses. Once I got that, it never came off.

There is a Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon mount, that I consider a valuable lens, if you need very wide angle, but, of course you get some distortion...

A vote from me for the Panasonic 7-14mm MFT lens. 7mm is pretty darned wide, with a minimum of distortion considering that enormous angle of view. It is, however, neither cheap ($950-ish) nor fast (f4.0).

- Greg

Should definitely consider using a focal reducer with a Nikon FX lens on the AF100. Metabones is the best, particularly for wide angles.

Option 1: a native MFT (7-14, 12-35, 12-40, 14-140) or 4/3 (14-54, 14-50, 12-60) zoom or prime (many)
Option 2: adapted DX UWA lens (Tokina 11-16 or 11-20, Sigma 10-20 or 8-16, other)

plenty of options

Hi Sarah,
Not a nikon I know, but I use an Olympus 9-18mm 4/3 on the Olympus 4/3 to mft adaptor. This gives beautiful undistorted verticals with an equivalent view of 18mm at the wide end to 36mm on full zoom.
Cheers!
Rod

We use a Metabones Speedbooster behind the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 G DX. FAB combo. We also have the Sigma 10-20 but usually stick to the Nikon 17-55.

Back