Thoughts on Metabones Speed Booster + AF100?

filmguy123

So the Metabones Speed Booster seems to be out with glowing reviews...

Micro Four Thirds version coming in March they say.

I can't seem to find info on the M43 version, I'd like to know if this will allow any glass with an M43 mount to gain a full stop and basically "kill" crop factor to bring it to s35 size.

If so, for $600 this seems like an absolutely must-have, killer piece of hardware that will make the AF100 an incredible tool for many more years to come.

Thoughts?

As far as I know, the adapter will only work with Nikon or Canon mount lenses. I'm not sure if it's going to work with the Lumix lenses, although it would be killer on the new 12-35 and 35-100, bringing the F-stop to a 2.0, all the way through.

It can only work with larger glass. It would be impossible for it to improve the Lumix lenses. It will require at least s35 lenses, if not ff lenses.

Yep, supposed to work adapting DX lenses to m43. Already looking forward to my Tokina "8-12/2," Tamron "12-35/2," and Sigma "35-105/2" and "35-350/2.8-4.5"

Might look into a Nikon "13-210/2.4-4" or similar superzoom as well.

If I can figure out a way to adapt PL lenses to one of these successfully, I'll seriously consider a Cooke "14-71 T2.2"

Last edited:
So any larger glass (made for a still 35mm camera), with an m43 adapter on it, can hook up and benefit from this?

i.e. I have manual Minolta lenses from the 70s... 90s Nikkor lenses... etc. Will this work with those, expanding their FoV and and lowlight?

And will wide angle 35mm glass (say a 24mm canon lens) look roughly equivalent in FoV to my native 12mm M4/3 Olympus then?

Theoretically, yes... any full-frame glass should be adaptable so long as it fits the mount for which the adapter was designed.

In figuring out what the lens will "become," just work it as a 0.71x focal reducer that adds one stop... so multiply your FL x0.71, or a 24 "becomes" a 17, one stop faster. The sensor crop affects on FOV and DOF are then applied normally to that modified lens.

My understanding is it REPLACES the usual M4/3 adapter. So you have to decide which mount of lens you want to attach to the camera. Another poster suggested that an EOS-to-M4/3 metabones was the smart choice, since manual Nikon, Pentax etc can all mount to EOS with a cheap ring adapter.

Yep, it replaces the adapter.

The speed booster is also a shorter adapter than standard adapters... Because of the way it's optics work, it had to reduce the focal flange distance as well. This is a big part of the reason why it's been limited to mirrorless cameras.

To date, the EF-MFT may be the most flexible if you don't mind stacking adapters.

While I haven't seen news of such a beast yet, I'd very much like to see a Speedbooster PL mount for MFT. PL to E wouldn't make as much sense because of the reduced image circle, but would be a huge boon to AF, GH, and BMCC users.

The question I have is will the Canon lenses talk with the Panny cameras(GH3, AF100,etc.)?
This mount is a bit similar to what Birger Engineering was doing.
i hope this works, it will secure my investment(perhaps others) in Canon "L" series glass.
We will see....

Yep, supposed to work adapting DX lenses to m43. Already looking forward to my Tokina "8-12/2," Tamron "12-35/2," and Sigma "35-105/2" and "35-350/2.8-4.5"

Might look into a Nikon "13-210/2.4-4" or similar superzoom as well.

If I can figure out a way to adapt PL lenses to one of these successfully, I'll seriously consider a Cooke "14-71 T2.2"

I was thinking about PL but a little researching found that Duclos make their 11-16 T2.8 in Nikon mount, Zeiss CP2s have interchangeable mounts (or so I read) and thanks to Canon C line of cameras, Canon has started making Pl mount manual lenses with Eos mounts for non PL C100/300, so the way I see it, there are a set of Zeiss, set of Canon and Duclos 11-16 and eventual 70-200 Pl lenses in Nikon and Eos mount. The dumb $400 speedbooster mount will be fantastic with these lenses and the AF100 as we technically gain S35 field of view and f-stop and can use PL glass in Nikon and canon mount.

There is a $599 eos adapter for MFT in the works that will come later, worth it if you have the lenses but for me, I have been gravitating to Nikon mount for a while now and have a growing set of Nikon mount Samyang Cines, and two Tamron f2-8 zooms (17-50 and 70-200), this adapter is going to transform that set of lenses alone.

Back