Built the best AF100 Shoulder Rig I could, 90% Complete. $1600

nedcam

Thanks to all of you I believe I have finally developed the perfect rig for my kind of shooting. I think I do more documentary style shooting whereas this forum seems to have a lot of indie/spot/set up type shooters. I spent a couple of months researching every post on this forum regarding AF100 shoulder rigs, studied everyone’s photos, looked at behind the scenes shots, etc. I am 90% complete and here’s what I’ve done, I prefer to customize my stuff ala carte and cost is a factor for me also. I wanted to future proof the rig for possibly migrating to a C300, F3, FS700 or to accommodate the renting of various bodies.

Thanks to Erik’s excellent video testimonial at:

http://vimeo.com/44635036

I decided on starting with a Tilta Base, although they are hard to deal with from a sales communication point of view. I wanted a base plate that would quickly snap into my present tripod plates and have a wide balancing range for different nodal points. For the base and a couple of short rods out the back that I knew I would need for battery ballast plus Canadian shipping, it cost $382. I designed for my “worst case scenario”, which is hand held ALL day, wireless receiver, shotgun mic, viewfinder or DP6 and camera light all onboard.

I knew I needed to power lots of accessories and I looked at the energy distribution plate people discussed here, felt it was unreliable and dangerous, so being comfortable in the Anton Bauer world I bought a cheap cheese plate ($30) online and purchased a specialized AF100 Gold Mount ($219)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/760388-REG/Anton_Bauer_QR_VBG_QR_VGB_Gold_Mount_for.htmland

Then had the bright idea to distribute power from that for $90. I made sure the light, wireless and monitor all ran to a Dtap. The tech support at AB assured me I would be cool with running all this from my slim Dionic.

http://www.antonbauer.com/Products/PowerTapMulti

I had an old BEC box I screwed on for the wireless receiver.

http://www.adorama.com/BECSAM1.html?gclid=CJrrvKL37rECFQUUKgodk20A7

I wanted the mic to come off the shoe, this was $79:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...906_InVision_Video_Shockmount_Mini_20_00.html

I ordered the wood handle from Olof:

http://www.westsideavstore.com/index.php?p=product&id=55

and then had a custom made handle extender made for my left hand so I could place the camera down without it toppling to the side. I believe he is now going to make them regularly so check with him on that. Notice in the photos below that I want my elbows to be TUCKED IN touching my ribs, so I don't get arm and wrist fatigue from hand holding all day. Most of the expensive rigs out there have the handles so far out you can't tuck in your elbows, which is why I knew I had to make something customized. I had Olof make several extra ¼” holes for future articulating arm needs.

My total cost was $1600 for what you see here which represents base plate, two short back rods, cheeses plate, AB Gold Mount with AF100 power plate, Israeli Arm, Rycote mic holder, Olof’s wood handle and custom bracket for left hand, Quad Dtap adapter. It never occurred to me it would get this high and I still have to buy a follow focus unit.

So…the photos below show the rig weighing in at 12.2 lbs which is at least 10 pounds lighter than the full size cameras I have had on my shoulder for 30 years so that’s cool. Although the camera body seems forward the balance is perfect.

However…I did not start out wanting a Frankenstein rig. When I put this type of rig down on the kitchen floor when I get home from a shoot my wife calls it a Lunar Rover. I am worried about having to strip it down in the field very quickly: say if the director wants me to slip into a first grade classroom barely noticed, or sneak into a place that requires permits, using a teleprompter, perhaps a quick hood mount shot or as is typical for me: jumping into the passenger seat for a shot of the driver. I also have no idea how to make a rain cover for it, I may have to take a heavy duty trash can liner and cut a hole for the lens? That doesn’t look too pro… It won’t fit in a case so I guess I will just seat belt it in.

I now have 7 cables going everywhere, presently twist tied until I buy some thin Velcro strips. But I realize every time I field strip it down and then rebuild it I will lose ten minutes each way. So I am not happy now about this cable management. The alternative is for all accessories to run on their own batteies but that presents problems with having to have multiple chargers from different manufacturers, etc. Anyone have any ideas please chime in.

Here’s the issues at present:

• I haven’t bought FF yet, I think I need to buy slightly longer rods so I will have room. The rig as you see it from handle to end of battery is 26”.

• I need to get a shorter shotgun mic. Any suggestions?

• I wish the design would have the back of the rig going downward past my shoulder blade so it won't be so long. I think if I pivot in a crowd I will clock someone in the forehead. Or if my lens isn't wide enough in a small space I'd like to move back another foot.

• Learned the hard way I can’t use the DP6 outdoors. When I place my forehead to the sunshade my face is 8” from the screen, so I go cross-eyed trying to focus. Need to buy a Zacuto EVF.

• I move too fast and change lenses too often for appreciating a matte box so I don’t think I need the room there at the end of the rods.

So that’s my contribution to those needing to build a rig from scratch. It's a work in progress but about 90% complete. Here are some pix of my son holding it, I realize he needs a haircut.

Ned

Attachments

• 100_1077.jpg
    100_1077.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1079.jpg
    100_1079.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1081.jpg
    100_1081.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1083.jpg
    100_1083.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1084.jpg
    100_1084.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1088.jpg
    100_1088.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1089.jpg
    100_1089.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
If you can get the camera back a few more inches then the battery and wireless could also come in making it shorter. An EVF would make this easier and would distribute the weight more in the center of the camera instead of in front like the DP6 is. I use a DP6 like you have it when I shoot at night. I like the DP6 a lot and prefer it over an EVF but like you experienced in day light with the sun shade its hard to use in a handheld rig.

A follow focus could replace the left hand grip. You might not have room for both. It’s like having your hand on the lens of a ENG camera. Also when you get a follow focus the rails will have to move closer to the lens. I had to flip the front rail mount to make this adjustment.

Rode NG1 is a good short shotgun mic. (I’m pretty sure it’s the NG1 that’s shorter. Not with my gear right now to check)

Thanks for your insights. Do you think if I get longer rods and move the handle bracket forward I will not have room for the FF?

As to the rods being too far from the lens barrel for FF,I will try to do what you did:
"I had to flip the front rail mount to make this adjustment."

Thanks

Thanks for your insights. Do you think if I get longer rods and move the handle bracket forward I will not have room for the FF?

As to the rods being too far from the lens barrel for FF,I will try to do what you did:
"I had to flip the front rail mount to make this adjustment."

Thanks
Maybe. More trial and error to get it all to work. It gets pretty crowded on the left side of the camera when the EVF and follow focus are attached. With shorter length lenses it gets even tighter.

I will be posting pics of my TIlta rig as soon as I have some more components put together. I got their entire DSLR rig.

A good mini-shotgun that I like the sound of is the Azden SMGM-PDII ("mini shotgun") mic. .. and reasonably priced to boot.

Easy way and hard way

Easy way and hard way

Or.... you could just buy a camera that is set up that way out of the box:beer:

Attachments

• Sony NEX-EA5 camcorder.jpg
    Sony NEX-EA5 camcorder.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
I feel like this camera is going to be like getting Rick Rolled on youtube.

I've already read some puzzling things about it. WHY would you not put an internal ND filter wheel on it?!! What's the point of having a shoulder mount camera where you have to fuss with external filters all the time when you just want to shoot outside?

For the life of me, I will NEVER understand why any pro video cameras don't come with a internal ND filter wheel. Just shoot ONCE professionally on a paying job and you will see why this is an absolute necessity.

Back