Is 14-54mm version I AF100 compatible?

mitsos68

Hello, despite being very happy with my 14-35mm, looking for something a bit longer and the least expensive. I know that some of the version I zuikos are not compatible with the AF100(40-150mm). I suppose that 14-54mm version II works OK, but what about version I ?

Are you talking about the old 4/3 Zuiko lenses? If so my 14-54 works (on full manual) just fine with an adapter.

Yes, I am talking about the first version (mk1) of the old 4/3 lens, thank you.
Does push AF work also?

yes it works, i have 1, and its not full manual, u change the iris from camcorder, but there is no any kind of auto or push focus. i would suggest sigma 4/3 18-50 as its macro and constant aperture f/2.8, same money as for oly or even cheaper, i got 1 used from ebay, and 1 from here at market place. the 1 from ebay was better so i resold another one!

1 problem with 14-54 ver I - focus ring, when u manually rotate focus - it makes lots of rotation noise...... i dont know about ver II, and of course it will clics as u zoom, because iris is not constand. so i am in proces of selling it

but i ll keep my macro

I think I know well those rotation noises and clicks...
Focus and iris control are just fine!

I can also have a friend's Tamron 17-50 in Nikon mount (iris control, more or less)

if say true i would not bother its kind of junk at least for video...... even as variable prime as as soon u zoom u ll have to adjust scenes settings... that sound from focus ring is easy for mic to pick up (just 1 more time to make sure u got it right - the noise is from MANUAL focus rotation), the only reason i bought it is cause it was extremely cheap local offer and i was kind of green .... as i told now i am trying to resell it.....

i heard that 12-60 is sharper, plus 12 is a little wider then 14-35 u have now, so it will be an alternative for you from both sides and wider and longer, plus its maybe has no sound from manual focus rotation (but i am not sure 100%), so if its maybe 1 problem less, already easier to work with, and also it will be easier to resell as for photo guys its good lens... at least here locally its a valued one

anyway at the end its up to u, your budget, and your experience......

I use this lens regularly.. that's not to say I like it, but I chose it because it was the cheapest zoom available when I got my AF over a year ago. It is definitely noisy (ear-noisy, not eye-noisy), and the aperture moves in chunks rather than smooth transitions from stop to stop. I've heard that the 12-50 is the same, but don't know that fora a fact - somewhere in this forum is a series of different lenses (posted by I forget who) that clearly demonstrates the problems with these Lumix and Zuiko made-for-still-camera lenses. These quirks are, apparently, inherent in the design of a lens that is intended to be auto-everything (which of course they are not on the AF). I use a well isolated Audio-Technica mike on camera and with exteriors or noisy interiors it's not noticeable. In a very quiet room, even a pole mounted Sennheiser 416 can pick it up.

The good things about the 14-54 are that it is very light and optically quite good considering the price (and there are some used ones out there now). I consider it a "glove compartment" lens. Because I shoot documentaries I can live with it over the heavier Canon and Nikon mt lenses. For production type work, I'd look at a good used Nikon or Sigma (if you can find one in an MFT mt).

I should add, although it seems to fall on deaf ears, that it would be nice if Panasonic had (or would) make (or cause to be made) at least one zoom lens that is designed specifically for the AF100 - such as an improved 14-140 (f2.8-4 manual focus)- that probably won't happen now, of course, with the super35 climate, - but as an alternative I wonder if a lens tweaker, like DUCLOS for instance, could remove or modify all the junk linkage that's causing the problems in these otherwise pretty decent lenses.

i wonder why Sigmas 4/3s are so not popular..... at all, its same price or even less, but i kind of like it more..... for example 18-50, has no clicks at all and even if u ll train for few days u can zoom smoothly..... no focus ring noise ..... plus constant f2.8 gives more light ........., the only thing is the focusing is kind of tricky as its a short turn, - i payed for used around 250 usd....... and macro is also a nice option for close face shots.

if u want cheap f1.4, for night shots then sigma 30mm also can be found cheap..... i got my for 400$ together with olympus mmf1 adopter and uv filtr. of course i like now my m4/3 pany more but it also the more expansive too, so used sigma again is kind of good alternative!

also i was hunting for Sigma 70-200 for several months ..... very good one, constant iris f2.8, so easy to focus....... not like any other 4/3 lens that i tried, and i love that when i zoom its all internal and does not extend!

IMG_2801a.jpg

Back