Remote start stop record for AF100

Yes I mean a wired stop start like a ZOE or a VariZoom but w/o the zoom focus etc.

This is really useful on jibs and even on sticks, makes for smoother stop start.

I like wired remotes much better no chance of false triggers or stops. My ideal remote would also have a rec review button.

I have always had these controls on every camera I have owned. Zoom is meaningless on this cam. Focus could be handy, but not very for me as I will mostly be using Canon glass with a Birger adapter, or my Novoflex for older Canon glass.

All the ones I see for Panys have zoom rocker as well.

Last edited:
There's a thread on here somewhere about how to build your own for like $5 worth of radio shack parts. Most of the controllers I've seen are zoom and start/stop because the port was shared on the DVX/HVX/HPX/HMC150. I don't know if I've ever seen a commercially-available record-only remote, but a) that might have some applicability in an AF100 world now, and b) you can make one for pennies.

I made one for my DVX and HVX from a couple of bucks worth of parts.

Needed it for car rigs. Worked fine and was easy to make.

As a side not, I'd all so that the birger mount will be passing the focus control through, which is why I am going to buy one with focus control as well (I am using EOS lenses on my AF100 too).

Get a stereo (2 conductor) 2.5mm plug, a momentary switch, and stranded-two-conductor wire (any wire gauge). Connect the 2 wires to the plug and to the switch. It doesn't matter which wire goes where. Radio Shack, Markerteck, or your favorite electronics store.

OK, thanks every one. I will make one. I have all the parts in stock. I make a lot of cables etc.

I did not realize that the bottom SS is simply a normally open circuit that when closed toggles record on and record off, just like the two built in red buttons.

I would feel better if someone confirmed for sure this is the case. I will test to make sure there is no voltage there before I use the switch though.

grimepoch, I would guess the focus, iris control would be in the upper hole. I don't know if the upper hole has start stop rec as well. Varizoom seems to have an iris focus controller for $149.00 retail. It does not state anything about start stop rec.

In Barrys book it states that the upper port does control start stop as well. What model Varizoom would this be?

Last edited:
>I don't know if I've ever seen a commercially-available record-only remote

Tried the DMW-RS1. It works on the GH1 but no luck on the AF100. Any ideas?

There should in fact be a voltage differential between the two, just think of a simple circuit with a battery a switch and a lightbulb. If the switch is open, since the lamp is really just a wire, there will be a potential read across the open switch. Because if you closed the switch, and there was no potential difference, nothing would cause current flow across the switch to show you something had happened :)

I'm making my own start/stop, iris, focus puller, and zoom box for a jib and I will use the circuit I suggested above. The cable I suggested is the same as I found here on this forum for Panasonic cameras, along with the circuits for the iris and focus circuits (which are 1k resistors in series with 20K pots and a 100k resistor in parallel with the 20k pot. The iris and focus auto/manual selection is just a switch in-line with the pot circuit. It always best to use shielded twisted pair for all the circuits to be sure you won't interfere with anything else your running up the jib like audio.

did you ever get this working? a friend and i tried the same diy for the dvx/hvx but it doesn't work with the af100, though my lanc controller does work.

I tried the focus. Works fine. I have not tried the start/stop or the iris. I'll try to test it tomorrow.

You mean something like this?

monkeyking. How did you wire your grip? I have an Aaton grip as well, with the original start/stop to the right and inching to the left.. I assume yours works with the start/stop. What mini-plug did you use for the AF? and how did you wire it if you don't mind my asking?

Back