The AF100 Book - availability and ordering info

Barry_Green

The AF100 Book is done, in stock, and shipping now. I'm setting up a distribution system to make it easier for people to be able to order, get it quicker, and not have to pay high shipping or import fees.

For USA residents: you get a copy free, if you buy an AF100 from an authorized USA Panasonic dealer. For the first batch, there's a redemption coupon in the box. Please fill it out and mail it back (it's already pre-stamped even!) and your book will ship the same day. For all cameras made as of January 2011 and later, the book is actually packaged inside the box. This is a promotion being run by Panasonic USA; Jan is buying books and including them in the box. No other territory has yet decided to run a similar promotion; if you want your country to offer it, you'd have to contact your division of Panasonic and request them to do so.

For European residents: the official distributor in the EU is Holdan Limited. Holdan distributes to about 350 retail stores in the UK, Ireland, Belgium, Holland, etc. For EU residents, you'd do yourself a big favor to order from Holdan or one of their divisions, because when I ship from the USA it can take up to three weeks to arrive in Europe, and sometimes your country imposes import taxes/duties. Holdan can ship with 1-day or 2-day delivery across the EU, with no taxes or duties to worry about. To contact Holdan and find a dealer near you, visit this link. EU residents can also order it from http://www.amazon.co.uk/AF100-Book-...B9T2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297289750&sr=8-1. Amazon.co.uk will distribute to many countries throughout Europe and in fact throughout the world; you can find the complete list here.

For Canadian residents, the book will be available in authorized Panasonic dealers across the country.

I'm working on getting distribution in Australia and New Zealand now.

For other countries, or for US residents who didn't buy a camera or got one from somewhere other than an authorized USA retailer, you can order directly from Amazon, and it's even eligible for free Super-Saver shipping.

Thanks to everyone who's expressed interest, and I hope these distribution arrangements make it such that you can get the product earlier, less expensive, and without customs or duties complications.

Also, for those interested, Nigel Cooper of www.DVUser.co.uk has just posted a nice review.

Last edited:
Barry and Jan, thanks for throwing in the book with our purchase of the camera and making it super easy to request our copy. I dropped my postcard in the mailbox last night and am looking forward to the book.

They were shipped out on Friday, so I don't know if Holdan will have them in stock on Monday or not, they may still be in transit. But yes, definitely contact them and they'll get you set up!

Sent my postcard out today. Thanks to both of you for making this happen.

I know that Panny is a big corporation, and as such it has to operate under certain constraints. But after being a part of this site over the past 6 years or so, it doesn't feel like a big company to me. I feel like I have access to people who affect the decision making process regarding both products and customer policies. Jan and Panasonic don't have to shell out extra cash to include a book with a camera that they already know is going to sell like crazy. It's a very classy move that shows they understand how important a good relationship with their customers is.

Got my tracking info from Barry on Thursday, my book will be here Monday. Very fast turn around, much appreciated.

Awesome! One of the selling points of Panasonic cameras for a long time. I think they should call it an exclusive feature. :)

Hi Barry,
Got my card in the box with the new cam... THANKS to both Panasonic for providing the "perk" and to you for putting it together...
again it begs the question... "Don't you ever sleep?"

HI !
I'm In Paris, FRANCE.
i want to order the famous AF100 book... but no answer after 2 mails to holdan.co.uk...
so... how to order it in Europe ? only in direct with you Barry ?

Thanks
Vincent

Holdan probably hasn't received their shipment yet, it'll probably arrive sometime today or tomorrow. Then, presumably, they'll have to enter it into their system and get it sent out to their dealers. You might just be a little bit too soon. I'm surprised they haven't responded to emails though. I'll ask them about that.

Thanks for your interest!

So Barry, what does the book cover besides the basic functions?

Lots and lots of articles on all sorts of things from basic concepts to workflow issues to exploring the lens mounts and the frame rates and the waveform and vectorscope and the CMOS sensors and then a detailed examination of every single menu item, button, switch, and function (except painfully obvious ones, of course)...

Well, here's the Table of Contents.

It'd be nice to have a PDF of the book, something to have on hand in an iPad/Nook/Kindle/etc., but I understand the piracy concerns and not having one readily available.

Back