Will this lens work?

gandalfrodo

There ought to be a whole board dedicated to people asking if a certain lens will work and Barry saying, "Yes, they just came out with an adapter for that."

I'm curious if this particular lens will work since I don't know much about them and how their optics are set up:

Canon J15x9.5B4

Would this even work with the AF100? Thank you very much.

Nope. It might be alright in the telephoto range, but for the most part you will get vignetting and it will not cover the sensor.

That looks like a 2/3" lens to me. Not even a rather good one... looks terribly older to me.

Look for lenses with an inbuilt 2x extender. You will loose 2 stops of transmitted light but the depth of field is calculated at f1.8 or whatever the aperture setting.

Man, loosing two stops of light. That's like my friend's old Letus Economy. We used to have to blast light on whatever subject we were shooting in order to get a good exposure. Although that was when attaching it to an HVX200. Maybe with the AF100's 4/3" sensor exposure won't be that big of a problem.

I guess I'm just trying to find an affordable solution to having a motorized zoom lens. Just looking for versatility and to get the most out of the camera possible. After the $6,000 for the camera don't know how much is going to be left over for lenses. Want to get the Lumix 14-140 and some Nikons. Definitely want a 50mm prime and an 85prime.

I want the option that should I need to do event videography I can still use the AF100. Trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Most of the zoom lenses available for the cinema 35mm format (similar, a bit larger than m4/3) start from f2.8 > 3.5 and one can consider not much less than T4 for exposure calculations:

Cooke Wide Angle Varotal, 14-70mm, T3.1
This lens was unique in the zoom series because it included a wide angle aspheric. It was launched in 1986.
http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/history/1980s.html
Angenieux zooms:
http://www.angenieux.com/zoom-lenses/index.php?txt=7

Do you really want to ask around how much they cost?

In the end, a lens considered by many in these forums as extravagantly expensive (Olympus 14-35mm f2), would be a steal for the AF100. Imagine this puppy, rehoused, with a proper long throw focus mechanism.....

Maybe with the AF100's 4/3" sensor exposure won't be that big of a problem.

Well, you could always crank ISO up to account for it. But I always wonder when the solution to a lens problem involves pretty heavy light loss...

I guess I'm just trying to find an affordable solution to having a motorized zoom lens.

Well...in the S35 world, the only affordable solution I know of comes in the form third-party servo rigs that can be rail mounted and then made to run on the zoom gear of a cine lens. I have never heard of the equivalent of a broadcast lens for platforms larger than 2/3". Likewise, the prospect of a practical 20X zoom sort of dissipates - they become too large, too heavy, and too slow.

This is, actually, one of the reasons that many folks think 2/3" will remain - it has a large support of powered zooms with a huge range that simply can't happen on larger sensors. For many documentary, event, ENG, and EFP folk...it is and will remain the bread and butter.

Just looking for versatility and to get the most out of the camera possible. After the $6,000 for the camera don't know how much is going to be left over for lenses. Want to get the Lumix 14-140 and some Nikons. Definitely want a 50mm prime and an 85prime.

Personally, I'd say start with a 28mm and a 50mm prime. Rent anything else, if you need it. That way you'll have the lenses necessary to shoot quite a bit (unless you personally use zooms a lot), and can spend some time figuring out which other lenses you like.

I want the option that should I need to do event videography I can still use the AF100. Trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Well, I suppose it depends on what you call event videography, but it can definitely be done without a servo zoom. One won't be able to recline in a chair and watch a monitor, only bothering to press a couple buttons on the pan handles here and again...but it can be done.

The light loss with a 2x extender is straight inverse square law physics.
You are spreading the same amount of light over twice as large an image circle so the light density is 1/4 of the smaller circle, 2-stops less.
B4 lenses are designed to focus through a prism so you get chromatic aberration unless you use a rather expensive optically corrected adapter for a single sensor camera.
There is another thread here showing some B4 lens footage on a GH1 with an uncorrected low cost adapter. The results aren't too shabby.

For the cost of some of these broadcast zoom lenses I'd almost sooner try and purchase an HMC150 in conjunction with the AF100. I may look into the 2x extender or a servo attachment; or I may just have to deal without having motorized zooms. I do use zooms in my filmmaking, although mostly punch zooms which I've always done manually.

I would also like a wide angle lens such as a 28mm. I've gotten spoiled renting from Zacuto the Zeiss 18mm lens. Didn't realize it was $1,400. May continue renting for things like that :)

Back