New Aaton Penelope 4K camera with Dalsa sensor, optical vf

Uncompressed CinemaDNG at 4K, let alone 7K, will be incredibly burdensome datawise. It's probably time for the CinemaDNG Group to standardize on lossy higher compression ratios.

Uncompressed CinemaDNG at 4K, let alone 7K, will be incredibly burdensome datawise. It's probably time for the CinemaDNG Group to standardize on lossy higher compression ratios.

The DNG standard does support 2.5:1 mathematically lossless Huffner compression. Still a lot of data to wrangle.

The Dalsa Origin was years ago. This chip is many evolutions past that. For one thing, it's about the same size but is now something like 7K.
It would have to be a different chip. I worked on a shoot that used the Dalsa Origin years ago, and the cameras had to have incredibly large and noisy fans in order to keep from overheating. Even then, they needed something like 2 back-up cameras on-set, because they would still overheat.

I don't think Aaton would produce a camera that could overheat, and according to the specs, the Penelope 4K is supposed to be silent.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about the potential frame rates the camera will support?
And, has there been an official date of release?

Looking at Phase One backs makes me very skeptical about Dalsa's ability to deliver with regards to dynamic range or thermal performance.

Fair enough, but we first saw penelope back at NAB in 2008 I think (back when it was going to be film/digital swappable) - I wanna see samples already!

Back