GH2 Review for me - Edit of gym/boxing

gundar

A business friend came to me and wanted a shot of his in house gym and boxing classes.

I brought a GH2 along and paced it in the way he requested. I added some dubstep music and paced the edit to the music for the first 1/2 of the clip.

http://vimeo.com/45178827

I didn't have very much creative liberty here since he wanted it a certain way and a certain editing style so I worked with what I had.

Questions:

* Does the edit match well enough on your machines with the music?

* Do you enjoy the pacing?

I think it works well. I'd keep pushing for places to change it up a little, but the pacing works with the music. I felt like the shots at the end got a little repetitive. Many similar shots rotating through. If you have a chance to go back, or next time shots of some other stuff, like their feet. An extreme closeup of their faces. Some different angles (near the floor perhaps.) But overall, I like the feel. With a little more work and a good color grade, I think it will make a great finished product.

Thanks Blazer, I appreciate the reply. I felt that way at the end too, just wasn't much to work with. May have some hidden things I can find to throw in there and at the end there did need a little more audio matching and some serious color grading.

More shot variety would definitely help it move (mostly medium/medium-wide shots here). I'd like to see more closeups on the action or the fighters prepping just to add more of a storyline to the piece. Closeups are also going to minimize the background people just standing around watching. Also, I see a light stand at :37 that sort of bugs me, even if it's technically for a flipcam that's probably set up at all times (I'm guessing). Add some slug/fade-to-black as well since it ends on an frame with lots of motion effects.

The edit seems to match and pacing works well with the subjects but these are just a few critiques.

Mond,

See why you guys rock... I totally missed the lightstand because it is a static object in the garage/gym.

Thanks.

The shots are to slow for the music, I think it needs some slow mo to even it out, especially for shots when the boxers punch speed equal that of a 70 yr old lady. It would be cool to have it cut about half way in, have a bay door open and an ambulance back in , then have a guy being stretchered in while spitting out some chiklets. just for comedy relief that is. The cuts go well to the music, its the shots that don't.

Thanks for all the input!

Will be shooting again with this person and will take from your input and apply it to the next shoot!

Back