Would love some thoughts on my first payed job

Oetam

So I was asked to shoot an artistic impression of the recent KRÄK festival by the people who organized it (friends of a friend).

I gave everything to make it as good as possible and I ended up working a lot more than I got payed for, I just turned 17 and this was my first ever job so no big deal. I'll ask more the next time.

I'd love to get some constructive criticism or a few comments on Vimeo. Different people always bring different ideas to the table I would never have thought about.

Thanks,

Mateo

Good work! I didn't notice your cuts at all, and IMHO, that's the way cuts should be!

Makes me want to go for sure!

I like it. I would like to see more shallow DOF shots and I think some text/mograph could really spice it up.

Also I love the track that's playing... what is it?

Good thing there was no wind and rain at this event...

Some thoughts...

1) Didn't like the multicolor fluctuation effect. That may work for something where one is trying for a 'vintage' 8mm/16mm home movie look or the like but I think it detracted
from the image.
2) Rather than a long fade of one cup being filled with Beer, I'd probably do some sort of 'stop motion' where a number of shots, or short clips, of many cups being filed, and composited with
blending modes to give the effect of 'many people getting served'.
3) The dancing feet at 00:36-38 or so. I would have panned up from the feet to show who it was doing the dancing.
4) Most the shots seemed a bit 'distant', perhaps with a wider lens and 'getting into the crowd. Also put the camera, on a monopod, then hold the camera up over the crowd. Angle the LCD viewer so you can monitor what the camera is 'seeing' to get some over head shots.
5) I'd also recommend ground up camera angles.

Doing a concert with only one camera is hard, because you can't really be in a number of places at once. The pro coverage often includes 4 or 5 cameras, 2 or 3 of which are fixed, 2 are mobile, and then the 'director' can cut between them during the same song to 'mix it up'.

I'd recommend watching "Woodstock"(1969) and "Monterey Pop"(1968). While they may 'seem' old, they have some of the oft used techniques for covering 'rock events'... which may be different than say a concert in a auditorium or even a fixed seating stadium.

Here's a advertizement for the Bluray edition of "Woodstock"(1970)... you need not worry that a young Martin Scorsese was part of the film crew... but just watch the techniques...

Here's a clip of Janice Joplin at the 1967 Monterey Pop festival.

Good job. I like the video. The above suggestions are very good ones. I also second the issue with the added color effect. It is a personal thing, and I just don't care for that. Other wise, very, very good. Keep it up. I bet we see some more great stuff from you.

Back