Raw Screen Grabs from Western shot on GH2

cowpunk52

I DP'ed a supernatural western webseries pilot last weekend in the high desert in California. Shot everything on two GH2's with my Canon FD standard speed prime set and a FD 35-105 f3.5 lens. Everything was shot on Cinema mode, -2 across the board. I'm really quite thrilled with the performance of this little camera.

There is zero grading in these grabs, pulled straight out of VLC from the original MTS files.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wow, those look great! Was the set built just for this pilot or was it already standing?

Btw, is that Max Martini from The Unit in the second image? I can't tell.

Thanks everyone - there was a lot of work put into this little project. The set is actually pre-built, it's a place called Whitehorse Ranch in Landers, CA - a little less than 1 hour north of Palm Springs. In the second grab, that is not Max Martini, though I can certainly see the resemblance. The actor in the sunglasses is actually Don Stark, of "That 70's Show" fame as well as dozens of other things.

It was a pretty stressful shoot all around; we had to do a whole lot with very little resources. Camera dept in particular had only myself, one other operator (for the other GH2), only 1 AC, and a Gaffer. We had no grips. There were no genies, so we could only pull household power. The entire thing was lit with bounce cards, silk, 2 kino diva 400's and a single Cool Lights CDM150, and some of those interiors had to be shot at night for day. Talk about pressure...

Anyway, we got it all done and I'm enormously proud of what we were able to accomplish. The footage looks very very good, and I haven't seen any problems from the codec at all. I'm more than pleased with the GH2 and will use it again and again. It's performance is unparalleled in a camera this small and cheap.

I know you said you shot in cinema mode but what film mode did you shoot in may I ask? Smooth? Nostalgic? Or maybe you don't remember?

Anyways.....this isn't even color color corrected and it looks good as is. What did you guys use for audio?

And the magic question.....when can we get a looky-look? :)

I shot in the cinema film mode. I find all the others give a little too much mid-tone boost that I don't generally like. For audio we had a Rode NTG-3 outdoors & an Audio Technica AT4053b hyper for indoors going into an Edirol R44 with clap-sync slating. A couple of times we busted out some Sennheiser G2 lavs, but only for one scene. As for when something will be cut... well, I don't really know. I'm not editing the project and I don't know how long that process is going to take. But when something is done, I'll be sure and let you know!

Last edited:
Back