2 x digital zoom footage

AdrianF

Had the GH1 coming up to 2 weeks now and am gradually getting around to editing some of the footage. I shot this last weekend in a neighbours garden ( sorry some more flower shots ) and found the 2 x digital zoom pretty useful for faux macro shooting. I don't think this degrades the image as much as digital zooms normally do.

Anyway, all kit lens, as my 4/3 adapter has only just turned up. There is some mosaic patterns on a couple of shots, mostly caused by encoding for the web, but it is still there in the original footage, only not as noticeable.

Exposureroom

Hmmm I wonder about doing a 720 film where most is shot 720 but using the 2x on 1080p footage and downscaling? Is this better than just shooting 1080 and scaling in post? I'd think so...but then again it's literally digitally zooming right, not just using less of the sensor?

Impressive stuff. I think you CAN tell that it's digitally zoomed. But that doesn't mean it looks bad. It simply looks like really GOOD Standard Def footage. How did you achieve the moving shots that looked like they were on a dolly or jib? Nice job.

Hmmm I wonder about doing a 720 film where most is shot 720 but using the 2x on 1080p footage and downscaling? Is this better than just shooting 1080 and scaling in post? I'd think so...but then again it's literally digitally zooming right, not just using less of the sensor?

As I'm still experimenting with dealing with the files, half of these were down rezzed on conversion before editing and I think that helps if you've used the zoom trick on 1080, providing that the conversion method is good. I think using it on bigger scenes is going to show up more flaws, this trick suits stuff like macro more because your tricked into believing there's more detail than there actually is, if you see what I mean? . I'd happily use the 1080 for most stuff and switch to 720 just for vey high action/slow motion stuff.

Impressive stuff. I think you CAN tell that it's digitally zoomed. But that doesn't mean it looks bad. It simply looks like really GOOD Standard Def footage. How did you achieve the moving shots that looked like they were on a dolly or jib? Nice job.
Thanks, the jib shots were done just using the front 2 legs of the tripod and tilting the whole thing whilst holding the third leg and head. There is a how too on this trick somewhere online, but can't remeber where.

From my testing, all I will say is that digital zoom is as awful on the GH1 as it is on any other camera I've ever used it on. It destroys resolution, and turns the GH1 image into absolutely no more than standard-def (2x) or VHS (4x).

Avoid it.

I think it looked really nice and especially the opening shots with the grass... just lovely.

Back