Leitz Lens Shots

RS-Colo

Here are some quick shots I took with my Leica-CL lenses attached to the GH1 using a Voitlander M-series to Micro 4/3 adapter.

The fist shots are with my Leitz Summicron-C 40mm f2.0. The first shot is taken at f5.6 and 1/640. The second is a blowup of the center portion.

P1000134-640.jpg

P1000134-zoom.jpg

The second set is with my Leitz Elmar-C 90mm f4.0. The same full and blowup.

P1000137-640.jpg

P1000137-zoom.jpg

Obviously I had to reduce the images down to fit here.

They don't appear (to me) to be overly sharp. Are these frame grabs or still shots? Do the shot images look sharper on your monitor then they appear here as web images?

Cheers,

Not to be rude, but those aren't very impressive to me. What's your impression of them overall? Perhaps it's the subject matter and heavy chroma that's making the images seem muddy to me.

They do look better on my screen, but I agree they are not the super sharp I am used to from this glass. This was my first time with the Leitz lenses on the camera. I did tripod, so I don't think it was vibration. I suppose it could have been some shake as I didn't use a remote release. I should try a simple flat subject and use the 2 sec. self-timer to make sure. I'll try to get to it later today. I have only had the camera a little over a week now and haven't had much time to play. I know, all of you frustrated folks waiting are saying "at least you have one". I was there not so long ago.

Here is a handheld shot taken with the kit lens.

P1000163-640.jpg

I just thought of something. I don't think I turned off the auto-focus or the anti-vibration. The camera may have been doing something that the lens couldn't. Just a thought. I'll do more testing.

I just thought of something. I don't think I turned off the auto-focus or the anti-vibration. The camera may have been doing something that the lens couldn't. Just a thought. I'll do more testing.

I doubt that either would cause an issue as both are lens dependent and thus moot for a MF lens.

I'm assuming these are still jpegs? If so, you might need to adjust the jpeg sharpness in the camera. If you shoot RAW, you'll get better sharpness (better everything, really), but I find I still have to add a fair amount of sharpening to the G1/GH1 images, even with the kit lenses.

I have quite a number of G1 and some GH1 images on my website.

Cheers,

You were right, of course. Neither setting was an issue. The previous shots were jpgs strait from the camera with the only mod being a reduction in size for the full images. Here is another pair taken of a fence. I did a bit of contrast and unsharp mask to these. They look more like I am used to.

P1000167-640.jpg

P1000167-zoom.jpg

I wonder if the sensor has issues with dealing with very saturated colors. The fence detail looks fantastic.

My experience having had G1s for a number of months is that this shouldn't be an issue. Mind you, I always shoot RAW and add whatever level of saturation I need in post. I only just got the the GH1 and I know the sensor is different, so I'm feeling my way with it too. I shoot it RAW also, but of course I don't know how this yet relates to video capture and how it will translate.

The fence shots certainly look sharper than the previous examples. I find that shallow depth of field is wonderful, but it rarely works well having the foreground out of focus (as in your original flower shots). With the fence shot all within the plane of focus, our eyes like it better.

Cheers,

It might have been camera shake; I 2 sec self-timed the last shot. Wouldn't the sensor have the same problem with the kit lens shot? That one looks very sharp. Below is a blowup from the kit lens shot.

P1000163-zoom.jpg

In any case, I guess it's more testing for me...

Even this shot doesn't look critically sharp, but again, I don't know if that's what you see on your monitor. I expect my G1 shots to be a lot sharper than this. I'm just starting with the GH1 but I don't expect it to be hugely different.

Cheers,

Back