GH1 at the carnival - with Canon FDs

MatzeB

Second day with the camera. Took some shot's at the Carnival of Cultures in Berlin with the stock lens and Canon FD 28mm f2.0, 50mm f1.4 and 135mm f 2.0
ISO 100 and high shutter - I haven't had enough NDs.
Slightly color corrected.

Very enjoyable camera - especially with manual lenses.
No fo%6ing joysticks. No cellphone tricks
battery holds forever.

Edited in Premiere 4.1 (great update!)

http://vimeo.com/5033677

1244318439.jpg

1244318407.jpg

1244318378.jpg

1244318344.jpg

1244318310.jpg

1244318275.jpg

1244318223.jpg

Thats the point. We want to see how good the GH1 is. And looking at pieces like this we can start seeing the positive side. This is only the begining.

Great stuff! I totally agree with John "This is what we want to see" I am so tired of measurebaters and just want to see footage and hear feedback from shooters.
Matzeb thanks for the effort and the shots! Hope mine arrives before thursday! I leave for two weeks on Friday.

WOW that is absolutely amazing footage! please tell me that was 1080 so I dont have to worry about this 'mud' issue anymore. I saw plenty of pans and whips in your footage and it looked beautiful! Great work. This just sealed the deal for me! I was just looking at some HMC150 footage and this video blew all of them out of the water, say what you want about hmc150's higher bitrate but this footage was amazing

Looks f---ing good!!!!
The shots on the juggler are amazing looking. And the 100 iso isn't as bad as some had predicted, unless 320 iso is just that much better :)

Pretty sure that was all 720p AVCHD from the way he was going in and out of slomo, and also from what I've been able to surmise from looking at way too many clips... and measurebating non stop! In this case I actually could go blind :Drogar-SunGlass(DBG

Last edited:
hey MatzeB what kind of canon lens did you use? Can you send me a link to the lens you used! I sure want to buy that one! and Nice work again!

hey MatzeB what kind of canon lens did you use? Can you send me a link to the lens you used! I sure want to buy that one! and Nice work again!

hey bro, i was wondering the same thing and just reread his post.

these are the ones he used: Canon FD 28mm f2.0, 50mm f1.4 and 135mm f 2.0.

Simply awesome job Matzeb! Showing both how GH1 is excellent for documentary stuff and how filmic this camera can look - even on high shutter speeds which surprised me. Brilliant music choice btw.

thanks guys :beer:

It's mostly 720/50p AVCHD. About 20% are 1080/25p resized and 2 shots are 720 cropped out of 1080.

Focussing with the Canon was a challenge. I'm glad this camera is not full-frame. A 28mm at 2.8 is shallow enough for my taste. The EVF is very good, but in a run and gun situation color peaking would make it easier.
A lot of shot's are not really spot on. Next time I shoot at f4.

Zebras would be great, but I just used the Histo and it worked well.

Film mode was "smooth" with everything dialed down to -2.

The stock lens is technically propably the better lens. High contrast and sharp.
The Canon FDs have lower contrast. I prefer the organic look of the Canons.
See the back of the head at 00:30 - Canon FD 28mm at f2.0 or 2.8 - don't remember. The stock lens needs some filtering for my taste.

It's about 30% stock lens - 70% Canon FD.
The juggler is 720/50p with Canon FDs only.

Matzeb, footage is probably the best I've seen with gh1, great job!

So did you have any problem with the codec breaking up on pans / high detail etc in 720p?

With the focusing is there an assist with a digital zoom of the centre of the screen with the GH1? Is it a help? And are we only seeing a selection of in focus shots, compared to quite a few out of focus?

In the quicktime from vimeo at about 02:47.20 (and in a few other places) the motion is staggered and seems to be missing frames. Is this just on my download version?

Also once you do the preset white balance, does the camera give you the kelvin number to see?

Kind Regards
Jon

Very inspiring material, thanks for posting. This was a good advert for the 720p50 format. I'm still wondering what's best for general shooting (1080p25 versus 720p50). MatzeB -- do you prefer to shoot mainly 720? I ordered the GH1 yesterday and hope to do some tests next week if it arrives on time. Be interested to hear about your camera settings if you'd like to share them. Thanks.

So did you have any problem with the codec breaking up on pans / high detail etc in 720p?
No. The only thing I could spot is some slight banding in the grey sky. Check the "best dance ever" attempt of the guy in the red shirt.
Btw. that's with the stock lens at 140mm -OIS on.

With the focusing is there an assist with a digital zoom of the centre of the screen with the GH1? Is it a help? And are we only seeing a selection of in focus shots, compared to quite a few out of focus?
The focusing assist is very usefull if you have enough time. It magnifies 10x or so. Not usable for run and gun.
Most shots are in focus, but as I said it's a challenge at f2.0 or 2.8. Definitely needs some practice.

In the quicktime from vimeo at about 02:47.20 (and in a few other places) the motion is staggered and seems to be missing frames. Is this just on my download version?
There's no staggering or missing frames in the footage or in the encoded file. It's probably your player.

Also once you do the preset white balance, does the camera give you the kelvin number to see?
you can adjust the kelvin in 100° steps. If you do a white balance preset I don't think it shows a kelvin number. Not sure on that.

Thanks for the reply MatzeB

There's no staggering or missing frames in the footage or in the encoded file. It's probably your player.

I've looked at that bit on a Mac and PC, and seems to stutter on both. But I'll take your word for it.

Back