Repairing a 12-60mm mk2 lens

BobKo

My wife likes to use our Panasonic 12-60mm f2.8-4 lens on her GX8. Today, through no fault of ours, the camera and 12-60mm lens was dropped onto a marble floor. Amazingly, the camera seems to work fine, but the lens is clearly broken -- the mount is broken off. All the glass looks fine and the two control rings work smoothly.

Can anyone recommend a good location to evaluate and repair this lens? A new lens can be had for $800 or so, but it would be great if this one can be repaired for less-than $500. Otherwise, I'll just get a new lens.

Maybe ask Duclos...although it could likely cost more than a brand new lens as sometimes stuff inside shifts & gets messed up even though it appears fine (like I learned the hard way in a similar situation).

https://www.ducloslenses.com/

a correctly designed lens bayonet is supposed to break saving both the lens and the body in an impact

changing the bayonette ring should be 4-6 screws.

I did this with a nikkor zoom and got the part for $60 from nikon

A highstreet shop might do it.

A lense with electronic contacts may not be so simple.

Of course this doesnt mean the lens is not further broken.

A lens with electronic contacts may not be so simple.

Of course this doesnt mean the lens is not further broken.

A ribbon cable that connects the mount to the lens' electronics definitely disconnected, so this falls into the "electronic contacts" category. Otherwise, I agree that the basic repairs don't look that complicated. And strangely, there is not a scratch on the lens or camera... other than the broken mount, they both look fine. And the camera works fine.

Im only suggesting it might be £60 fix at a local store. If you bring it to my workshop ill duff it up some more if you want?

Im only suggesting it might be £60 fix at a local store. If you bring it to my workshop ill duff it up some more if you want?

I'm a pretty good electronics guy, but reattaching the disconnected ribbon cable is more than I want to attempt -- it gets soldered on and it's very small. There are some broken plastic mounting pieces, as well.

Just to let people know what's happening with this lens, I sent it to Panasonic's official repair center in Florida. I got an over-the-web estimate to repair it (without inspecting it) of $288, so I sent the lens off. At this point, I expect the lens back in 10 days or so. It is possible that the final repair cost may change from the estimate... no way to know until it is done. I will update this when I know more.

I got the repaired lens back today and gave it a test. First, the cost: Although I got an over-the-internet quote of $288 to repair the lens, the final cost was $457. (That included return shipping.) I had promised myself that if the repair cost $500, I would just buy a new lens. So although the cost was less than $500, it wasn't by much. We do have insurance through a photography organization, so I will see about getting some reimbursement through that.

Turnaround time was very good. The repair shop received the lens on Monday, and I got the repaired lens back on Saturday. If I lived within 100 miles of the shop, I probably would have dropped it off and picked it up myself, saving 3-4 days in transit and about $40 in shipping cost (roundtrip).

The repaired lens feels perfect. The switches and rings work smoothly, and the lens looks/feels just like it did before it was damaged. Lens stabilization works nicely, and (with a GH6) I can do a decently smooth rack focus with this lens. I have not given it much of a test, but so far so good.

If there is more to report, I will come back and elaborate. I had the lens repaired at Panasonic's official service shop, which is:

Professional Electronics
1033 SW 30th Avenue
Deerfield Beach, FL 33442

Professional Electronics' web site is: Professional Electronics (peamericas.com)

Last edited:
Back