Panasonic S-series firmware updates - S1 becomes S1H

ahalpert

Holy cannoli. Panasonic just released firmware for all its S cameras. I only looked closely at the S1 since I used to own it. They've given it all the recording options of the S1H (albeit time-limited because it has no fan). So, now it can do 6K 24p internal recording as well as 4K DCI and anamorphic. And it can output 12-bit 5.9K RAW to atomos. Crazy.

It also gets a "timecode function" and the ability to manually select your base ISO (admitting that it was dual ISO all along).

The S1H and S5 get updates as well, but not as exciting since they already had fewer limitations.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/03...h-ver-2-4-s1-ver-2-0-s5-ver-2-2-bgh1-ver-2-0/

That makes the S1 camera killer for b-roll. It also dilutes value of my S1H a bit ha.

Cool that they added Blackmagic ProRes RAW out, for me though, realistically I'll never use that feature.

It's a great "paper update" and anything is better than nothing, but IMO won't see much IQ differences from the new internal options in this specific camera.

Anyone who purchased the S1 when it was on sale for $2K is probably stoked, but per usual the customers who paid more get the short end of the stick (and the S1H also dropped $300).

I'd still get the S5 for $1800 if and when it goes on sale.

It's a great "paper update" and anything is better than nothing, but IMO won't see much IQ differences from the new internal options in this specific camera.

Anyone who purchased the S1 when it was on sale for $2K is probably stoked, but per usual the customers who paid more get the short end of the stick (and the S1H also dropped $300).

I'd still get the S5 for $1800 if and when it goes on sale.
The micro HDMI pretty much makes the S5 a no go for me though I see the appeal for gimbal use.

I think the S1H will still remain the most professional model with its OLPF and built in fans. In more extreme heat the fans definitely serve a purpose though over in the midwest I'd rarely run into an issue where overheating would happen. I wish ND's were also part of the S1H, would make it an instant buy.

My priorities in cameras have changed over the last year because of the circumstances, and I feel that strong IBIS is my new #1 on the list (after AF being at the top the last 5 years or so).

When I don't film people constantly moving around I'm rarely using continuous AF, but I have grown to love filming handheld and having stabilized images.

My priorities in cameras have changed over the last year because of the circumstances, and I feel that strong IBIS is my new #1 on the list (after AF being at the top the last 5 years or so).

When I don't film people constantly moving around I'm rarely using continuous AF, but I have grown to love filming handheld and having stabilized images.

+1

For a good while, I was doing some of my best paid work (not necessarily the prettiest work in terms of content, just best paying clients) with the GH5 + GH5s combo. I definitely got really hooked on ibis.

I got a BM cam during that time and only used it for my more creative music video gigs and such.

Then I started using the BM cams on a few large doc gigs. Lots of quirks but I just couldn't let go of how much better the image looked (and graded). But damn, I was really missing Ibis, so pretty much all of the important handheld work was done with stabilized lenses. Again, because I got really hooked on having some kind of stabilizer. I mean, the degree to which you you must build out a small cam before a shoulder setup is stable enough for doc style work without ibis or ois is just not worth it, and in the end you're just not nearly as nimble in a doc environment with that kind of setup. With a lightweight Ibis setup, you can hold that cam overhead for a quick high wide shot, get crammed into a corner in small spaces, sometimes even holding the camera in the corner with your body to the side to maximize the space, etc. All kinds of stuff that only a small stabilized cam can pull off.

I'm always amazed how often I hear people say "just get a gimbal." Or, "Just get a shoulder rig." Totally different setups that don't fulfill those needs. The reverse is of course also true. You're not going to get a gimbal shot with an S1H.

Anyway, longwinded way of saying "I hear you." ; )

I now have the new P6k pro. Solves so many problems, except the stabilizer issue. I have some gorgeous Leica R lenses that look fantastic combined with BM sensor and BRAW. But they are small lenses. No stabilizer + small lens = micro jitters when handheld with a minimal setup, which is the strength of the p6k pro.

Anyway, the point is, we are getting VERY close, but we're still not there.

IBIS +eND + AF. Give me all of it! ; )

I sort of feel the same way but about using a gimbal. I can hold it over my head (way over my head) for a quick high-angle wide. (Or hell telephoto with that stability.) I can wedge it in a corner. I can use it like a monopod with no footprint. But then I can start dollying on a dime. Most of the rigging is built out vertically, it doesnt add that much horizontally. Changing lenses is the only thing that gets slowed down vs a simple handheld set-up, which is a problem. But that's sort of my feeling - you can stabilize a camera without IBIS but you can't really add AF to a camera without it.

But yes. I would like Panny IBIS with Canon AF and Sony eND

It's true, but you don't have the same connection to your camera and putting it up against your face and looking into a nice EVF and moving around with your feet.

Gimbal work has become so ordinary that it has lost all of its appeal to me.

Even slow-motion...as someone who used to make videos with 80% slow-motion, I scrub through them now if I'm researching something on YouTube because I just can't watch any more slow-motion gimbal work, ha.

No, you don't have the same connection to the framing as looking through an EVF. But I find that less limiting than having it glued to your eye level. It's a trade off.

And you dont have to move the gimbal all the time. But a lot of times a subtle move is useful, just as theres often a little jib up or lateral dolly in cinema to reframe during dialogue. You dont have to swoon just because you're moving the camera. Ultimately these techniques are all tools in the toolbox and you should take advantage of them as the situation requires

I sort of feel the same way but about using a gimbal. I can hold it over my head (way over my head) for a quick high-angle wide. (Or hell telephoto with that stability.) I can wedge it in a corner. I can use it like a monopod with no footprint. But then I can start dollying on a dime. Most of the rigging is built out vertically, it doesnt add that much horizontally. Changing lenses is the only thing that gets slowed down vs a simple handheld set-up, which is a problem. But that's sort of my feeling - you can stabilize a camera without IBIS but you can't really add AF to a camera without it.

But yes. I would like Panny IBIS with Canon AF and Sony eND

I like to rack focus, change focal length quickly when on a zoom like the 18-35mm, etc.

But the real elephant in the room is that when doing doc work, I just can't be "on call" like that without missing important shots all day long with the weight of a gimbal setup. Not with my arms. Gimbals are for specific types of shots for my world. They are not a multi-purpose tool in a dynamic doc environment. Just too many limitations, both universal limitations as well as specific ones , like not being built like The Rock.

Of course, if you are one of three cam ops and the others are on different setups, then it's ok to be the gimbal guy and simply set it down a lot. If more OMB or just two people, if find them too specific for a lot of my work. I set up my gimbal with a dedicated cam/lens and use that for specific shots, but then use other cameras for the rest. With cameras in the p4k price bracket, it just makes much more sense to dedicate cameras to that setup than trying to switch.

I'm not in the Sony ecosystem, but the A7sIII seems like the ideal new gimbal cam. Super lighweight, with some very lighweight lens choices, and incredible AF along with added IBIS for further shake reduction. I'm just not ready to make the dive into the lens ecosystem. If I try it though at some point and if Cinematch makes me forget that I am cutting Sony and BM together, then I'm in. I'll buy the 2 or 3 lenses I need and be off to the races.

Yeah that's true, I never shoot gimbal for 12 hours straight. And usually I have a tripod and a slider set up somewhere else. I've shot doc scenes with gimbal but usually limited duration and with other rigs in the mix. I would go handheld for all-day shooting. The longest I've shot continuous gimbal without a break is probably 2 hours and it starts to strain my muscles. But honestly, with a reasonably light rig, probably anyone could build beastly arms if you worked up to shooting it all day. (Or just get a vest/arm, which seems a little annoying and limiting to me.) Not that it would be the best choice.

You could probably get a sigma 24-70 for the A7SIII and just live with that. That was my original plan. But I would probably rather invest in canon if they come out with a reliable mirrorless camera in the same price bracket

Yeah that's true, I never shoot gimbal for 12 hours straight. And usually I have a tripod and a slider set up somewhere else. I've shot doc scenes with gimbal but usually limited duration and with other rigs in the mix. I would go handheld for all-day shooting. The longest I've shot continuous gimbal without a break is probably 2 hours and it starts to strain my muscles. But honestly, with a reasonably light rig, probably anyone could build beastly arms if you worked up to shooting it all day. (Or just get a vest/arm, which seems a little annoying and limiting to me.) Not that it would be the best choice.

You could probably get a sigma 24-70 for the A7SIII and just live with that. That was my original plan. But I would probably rather invest in canon if they come out with a reliable mirrorless camera in the same price bracket

Ah yes, I forgot about the rumored R5c

+1

For a good while, I was doing some of my best paid work (not necessarily the prettiest work in terms of content, just best paying clients) with the GH5 + GH5s combo. I definitely got really hooked on ibis.

I got a BM cam during that time and only used it for my more creative music video gigs and such.

Then I started using the BM cams on a few large doc gigs. Lots of quirks but I just couldn't let go of how much better the image looked (and graded). But damn, I was really missing Ibis, so pretty much all of the important handheld work was done with stabilized lenses. Again, because I got really hooked on having some kind of stabilizer. I mean, the degree to which you you must build out a small cam before a shoulder setup is stable enough for doc style work without ibis or ois is just not worth it, and in the end you're just not nearly as nimble in a doc environment with that kind of setup. With a lightweight Ibis setup, you can hold that cam overhead for a quick high wide shot, get crammed into a corner in small spaces, sometimes even holding the camera in the corner with your body to the side to maximize the space, etc. All kinds of stuff that only a small stabilized cam can pull off.

I'm always amazed how often I hear people say "just get a gimbal." Or, "Just get a shoulder rig." Totally different setups that don't fulfill those needs. The reverse is of course also true. You're not going to get a gimbal shot with an S1H.

Anyway, longwinded way of saying "I hear you." ; )

I now have the new P6k pro. Solves so many problems, except the stabilizer issue. I have some gorgeous Leica R lenses that look fantastic combined with BM sensor and BRAW. But they are small lenses. No stabilizer + small lens = micro jitters when handheld with a minimal setup, which is the strength of the p6k pro.

Anyway, the point is, we are getting VERY close, but we're still not there.

IBIS +eND + AF. Give me all of it! ; )

You might be surprised how much better the S1 image is over the good old GH5. It defiantly has me sold. Its the one camera I've continued to hold onto. I'll likely get the Pocket 6k pro as a second cam and mainly for the higher quality VFR.

IBIS is my love though along with Dual Native ISO. I can do a shoot without a tripod or gimbal. S1 plus 3 primes and that's it.

The lineup is lacking lightweight, fast and inexpensive AF options (Panasonic's f/1.8 85mm is an anomaly for $600), but there's a good amount of inexpensive/manual Chinese glass.

And if you use the camera in its S35 mode, Sigma makes the same three primes that are extremely popular with the GH5/S. [16mm - 30mm - 56mm]

Then there's everything else that people adapt (EF, F, PL, etc).

I used to use the Panny 24-105 with my S1. I wouldn't say it was lightweight, but it was the only lens I bought for the system and it was a very good 24-105

Back