5D IV missing file, help

egproductions

I filmed some interviews and used the 5DIV as a B camera as I normally do. Recorded to the SD card. Everything seemed to be fine on set. I went home to find that one of the clips is missing. There is a gap in numbering it goes from 8319 to 8321. 8320 is not a mov file but rather a .DAT file that is 0KB. What could have happened? Is there any way to recover this? I don't see it when playing back in camera either.

Some sort of card/hardware corruption most likely occurred. It happens sometimes on every camera and the first question usually concerns the media being used.

If you used a recommended fast card and you've used it dozens of times before without any issues, it was probably just a rare malfunction.

If it's a new and slow card, you might want to run some tests on it or use better cards.

ok, so I think I must have unplugged the power to the camera on accident while it was recording. I didn't loose anythign important but just something to keep in mind for next time.

Yes, that will almost always cause data loss. (Usually only affecting the file that was being written...everything else should be secure.]

I believe canon have something to convert this Dat back to a mov. The DAT file is the temp file the camera write to the media, it will rename with properheaders added when you press the stop button.

Back