Wide angle option for 5D IV in 4k

ultramaze

Hey guys. I'm looking for a 16-35 equivalent for the 5D IV in 4k. The ef-s 10-18stm would be perfect but I'm pretty sure you can't retrofit the efs lenses to work on the 5D. What are some options that would have good AF for video? Thanks!

You can use the 10-18mm on the 5D Mark IV (in 4K)...you're thinking of EF-M lenses made for the mirrorless'.

Edit: Maybe...see post #5.

Last edited:
EF-S lenses manufactured by Canon have an extra tab that prevents them from being mounted on Full Frame and APS-H Canon bodies. You can cut this off though with no issues - I've done it with the canon 17-55 2.8 and now it works fine with full frame and on my C100. Many lenses made by third party manufacturers don't have this tab. You should be careful when using them on full frame bodies because the full frame mirror passes much closer to the lens mount flange than the mirror on crop bodies does. If no lens elements protrude past the flange on the rear of the lens at any time when zooming in & out you are probably safe that the lens will not damage your mirror.

Sigma 8-16mm.

i use it on my 1DXmkII as well as the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8

i use the lenses on my 1DmkIV (1.3x crop) for photos and only have to zoom in a "little" bit to avoid vignetting.

david

Hey guys. I'm looking for a 16-35 equivalent for the 5D IV in 4k. The ef-s 10-18stm would be perfect but I'm pretty sure you can't retrofit the efs lenses to work on the 5D. What are some options that would have good AF for video? Thanks!

How about the Canon 16-35... ? ; )

Sigma 8-16mm.

i use it on my 1DXmkII as well as the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8

i use the lenses on my 1DmkIV (1.3x crop) for photos and only have to zoom in a "little" bit to avoid vignetting.

david

Thanks! I'll get the 8-16 then! I was wondering about that lens. Does it have loud AF for the dual pixel AF?

Thanks! I'll get the 8-16 then! I was wondering about that lens. Does it have loud AF for the dual pixel AF?

just did a little test.

the Sigma 8-16mm of course makes noise as all NON STM lenses i have do. the noise character is deeper clatter vs the canons that have a higher pitched tic-tic-tic sound.

the Sigma sounds a bit more like a cat with its lower guttural purr. its arguably louder than the canon's but both brands are too loud if you planning on having a mic attached to your rig and plan to use the sound critically. if your in a somewhat noisey room like a party or wedding reception and you have a boom attached "OUT IN FRONT OF YOUR RIG" as far as possible then i could see getting audio as a basic function but not in a quiet room close to your rig.

i also have the Sigma 18-35mm & the Sigma 24-105mm and its similar.

one thing about the 8-16mm though is having it at its wider setting its not really having to adjust focus much as almost all things are in focus from about 4-6' out.

i find the 8-16mm pretty darn sharp even wide open (although wide open isn't exactly fast) yet still i don't feel the need to stop down at all if i can't afford to raise my ISO. very satisfied with that and of course the price on all of my Sigma lenses is forgiving considering how sharp they are.

too bad as there aren't many STM lenses worth having yet thats was needed the most.

david

I'm shocked no one has mentioned the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. Great image quality, fast, constant aperture with no visible fall-off when zooming and actually covers FF past 14mm or so. 11mm should be plenty wide in video mode even with the crop and I've been using it for stills on 5D/1D for years. Check it out...

Back