Good lens for a 5d Mkiii and glidecam

Matthew Smith

Hi,

I've just ordered a 5d for my glidecam and need to get a good lens.

with my gh3 I used the tonika 11-16mm which worked great, but now need a similar lens for the cannon.

i was thinking either a
- 17-40 f4 canon lens (this can then also be used when I go on holidays)
- 24-70 tamron f2.8(much better for holidays, but will it be as good on the glidecam as that's the most important thing?)
- cannon 20mm (is a prime best for steady cam?

any tips would be appreciated, my aim is to buy the best lens for steady cam and if I need a separate lense for holidays no problem

* what mount does your tokina use? as David said, if you can mount it on the 5D3, it will work as a pretty decent 16mm f/2.8 prime (http://www.similaar.com/foto/lenstestsff/lenstestsa.html)
* what focal length did you like best for glidecam on your GH2? calculate the equivalent FF focal length, and that's what you're looking for (for me, it would probably be a 24mm, maybe even 28mm)

Last edited:
* what mount does your tokina use? as David said, if you can mount it on the 5D3, it will work as a pretty decent 16mm f/2.8 prime (http://www.similaar.com/foto/lenstestsff/lenstestsa.html)
* what focal length did you like best for glidecam on your GH2? calculate the equivalent FF focal length, and that's what you're looking for (for me, it would probably be a 24mm, maybe even 28mm)
Thanks for the feedback. My tokina uses a nikon mount but I am getting a canon adapter. I've looked at some footage with the really wide lenses on the cannon and feel its a bit too wide at 16 (Looks like the picture distorts the view a little towards a fish eye look, only very marginally).

On the glide cam at liked the Tokina at 11mm on the AF100 (Which I believe works out to be about a 22mm on a Full Sensor). I'm starting to lean towards the 24-70 Tamron but will a zoom lens like this still be nice and sharp if I have it at 24mm on the glide cam? Would the 17-40 be any sharper at the 22mm setting?

I also have a nice zeiss 28mm ZF so I'll certainly test that too as per your instructions above,

Regards,
Matt

I just picked up the new 24mm f/2.8 IS and can say it is an outstanding lens on the stabilizer. When panning and moving quickly there is no jumping of the image. The image quality is very similar to my 24mm L f/1.4 II and significantly smoother.

As far as canon lenses go for a stabilizer I'll have to say this new 24mm IS is pretty spectacular !!!

Cheers,
Pete

I use the Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L on my Glidecam. A lower cost alternative that is even wider is a the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm F/2.8.

I currently use the 5D mk iii on the glidecam 4000hd.
I use the EF 17-40mm f4 and absolutely love it, and at about 20mm its an absolute dream

Thats great news!

I ended up buying the 17-40mm and the 24mm f2.8 so I should be all set for the glidecam.

Is the 17-40mm with 5d/ DP6 monitor too heavy for a HD2000? I have the HD4000 but was hoping to use the smaller glidecam with the wrist harness?

Back