5d mark III: SD card for video shooting

I would strongly suggest you use a CF card for video shooting with the 5D III. I suggest a UDMA7 card and I personally use the SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro CF UDMA 7, 90MB/s.
I have had no issues shooting with these cards at any setting/speed.

If you are just fooling around use any card you wish, but if you are shooting professionally dont take a risk.
The SD cards are not capable of the same speeds as the CF cards.

There's nothing wrong with using SD cards. Try the Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s cards. I used these on a round the world shoot I've just completed & they performed flawlessly in extreme temperatures & humidity.

I prefer the CF cards because they are more rugged, the connections are protected, and they tend to be faster. I shoot both video and stills and long timelapse with RAW files and the CF cards work better for me. I find the CF cards are easier to keep track of in a fast pace production environment when handing off cards to a DIT for download. Everyone has their own needs and I'm sure the SD cards work for some people.

To each his own.

Using the same cards I'm using for my FS100: Transcend Class 10 16gb SD cards... Saves me from worrying about having a card reader as I can just insert the card straight into any newer mac in my workflow.

I have use sd card for my camcorder i am new to cf card and been using both on the 5d3 so it can go from cf to sd when 1 card is full. My expireince with sd card is that it reliable using sandisck one time i forgot i put an sd card in pocket of my jeans and had it wash in luandry machine using hot water than i put it in the dryer when i was folding it that when i found the card in pocket i check on my pc every video clips wad there and working and i was able to record.

i was thinking of using sd cards on mk3 as mostly my shots would be 15-20 secs at the most in duration and sometimes interviews running upto 10 mints. do you think sd cards can hold upto this durations?

i was thinking of using sd cards on mk3 as mostly my shots would be 15-20 secs at the most in duration and sometimes interviews running upto 10 mints. do you think sd cards can hold upto this durations?

Yes you they work fine, just make sure you get the card from legit store and not from ebay, and stay with brand name like Hood Man Raw, Sandisk, Lexar, but since SD card are for fragile than CF, use them with care and you should be ok.

Why wouldn't they? The Sony FS100 uses SD cards as its main storage...... Been using SD cards for that camera for almost 2 years and NEVER had an issue, lost or broken a card.... choice of poison: Transcend Class 10.

To be honest, I don't know where any of you got the idea that SD would be less suitable than CF cards.

If you use SD or CF is COMPLETELY irrelevant.

What does matter, of course, is WHAT card you use. You need to make sure that the write speeds are high enough. Cards often provide a speed rating based on their READ performance, but it's the WRITE speed that matters here.

SD cards are convenient for Mac-people since they plug straight into MacBooks or iPads for import/edit.

Deciding factor for most people ought to be finding a brand that you like/feel confident with at the right price/performance.

I have also found Transcend class 10 SD cards to work flawlessly.

but 5d mark iii doesn't support ultra high speed sd card (uhs), so will it utilize 90MB/S SD card to its full strength? does it make sense to use such a hi-speed card?

I usually use SD cards because everything else in my bag uses SD cards, too (except the 5DmkII). I've busted some Transcend and Adata SD cards, before, but never Sandisk. Their UHS-1 cards have never given me any problems.

Stick with CF card. 5DM3 only support high speed for the CF card. It doesn't support ultra high speed [UHS] SD card and defaults to the slower speed even if you are using the fastest SD card.

Back