Card Suggestion for 5D & 7D

Jawad

Hi there,
I have a 5D Mark II & 7D. I have it strickly for filming full HD 24fps. What's the best brand out there

Any suggestions.

Kingston x133 are supposed to be pretty good and the 8 gigs are 30 bucks. I will see tomorrow when mine arrive

I have been using the sandisk extreme cards without issue. 400 speed I bought for 80 bucks.

I use 8GB Sandisk Extreme IVs and have had no issues. I also have a 32GB Kingston 133x card that seems to be working just as well.

Kegan

Kingston x133 are supposed to be pretty good and the 8 gigs are 30 bucks. I will see tomorrow when mine arrive

I have been using the sandisk extreme cards without issue. 400 speed I bought for 80 bucks.

+1. I've been using the 32 GB x133 and have had no problem writing for up to 11 minutes of continuous shooting. I paid about $80 (including shipping) on Ebay.

is 11 min max at a time?

does that mean if i am filming and its concernt or interview or anything else that goes non stop for an hour, it will break in between and possibly lose audio and video in between?

Its actually a 12 minute max. It's limited by the FAT32 limitation and not actual card size. If you have two of them, you just have to stagger your start times so as not to lose anything when shooting something long.

Kegan

EDIT: You can hit the "start/stop" button and press it again and it starts back in a couple seconds.

thanks everyone

so just to be sure the following is the correct one?

Kingston 32GB Compact Flash High Speed 133x 32 GB CF

I've shot 3 terabytes worth of footage with the Kingston 133 16GB & 32GB cards and have never had a single problem. I can't say the same for the 8GB Extreme III SanDisk cards. They have frozen my camera to where I had to take the battery out and I lost 8 minutes of footage. I would avoid those if you are doing long takes of live footage.

You can pick up the 32GB cards from B&H for like $77 bucks. I got mine from them for $60. I guess they were either on special or before they got so popular. Tim Smith from Canon said that the only downside when using the slower cards is that you loose bandwidth. It is noticeable when you are shooting a subject against a grey tone backdrop.

You will get over 100 minutes of footage per 32GB card.

You can record more than 12 minutes per shot. My longest take was about 14:30. Shooting length varies on what you are shooting. Just like jpeg size varies depending on what you are shooting, the same applies for the video.

The FAT32 file system has a 4GB maximum file size. Once you reach that size, the camera will stop recording. All you have to do is hit the record button again and it will go for another 4GB.

If you are shooting live events, you will need to use both your cameras to make sure you don't miss any of the action.

Note that your 5D Mark II will not play your 7D footage. It can not read the files. I don't know if the 7 will play the 5.

Note that your 5D Mark II will not play your 7D footage. It can not read the files. I don't know if the 7 will play the 5.

I have both the 5D Mark II and the 7D. The 7D will play footage from the 5D Mark II. I am anxiously awaiting the firmware upgrade for the 5D Mark II.

Back