location sound tutorial

Re: location sound tutorial

Thank you,
exactly what I needed. :)

hey, by the way, you guys told me that super cardioid has more narrow pick up pattern than hyper cardioid!! but this tutorial is saying the opposite.
Cardioid > Super > Hyper

How ironic that I would read this link up there about location sound, and then go on a shoot today to help out a friend with an on-camera class project. Saturday is definitely "lawn day". We would no sooner roll tape and all the neighbors came out with their weed whackers and leaf blowers...in unison. Cars would slow down to see what we were doing. Older neighbors decided to walk their dogs. And even the mailman showed up to deliver a package. And we were working with an all-children cast. Tranquilizer darts should just be part of the equipment. ;) They would have helped with the noisy neighbors too. ;D

Yeah, that's a very interesting read. It has an incredible ammount of information for a net article, but surely has that "gear headed" style that just pumps up our consumer fetiches...

It is linked in the 2-pop forum... with some others by Dan.

Sorry for the confusion, I think I did confirm it wrongly about cardioid/hyper/super thing. I guess your conlusion was so right, I just didn't bother checking things out. But there is no real practical difference, you had the theory straight.

Everytime I read stuff like that I respect more and more the location sound mixers, trying to make it work in those loud environments, being ignored by the rest of the crew and sitting there totally alienated with loud headphones.

Everytime I try to do audio, it sounds like sh*t...

Anyway...

that is a great link!

i have read the rosen book on audio and its great, but for free and more importantly a concentrated subject, this link is wonderful.

matthew

Damn you all! I posted this in the Links section months ago!

;D

Aww, thanks guys! I'm gettin all teary eyed! :)

Ty Ford also has a little book out there that is great for low budg dv/ audio stuff.

-Dave

Back