Interview critique (DVX100A/DVC30)

comexback_kid

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to send some feedback my way in terms of lighting, audio, framing, etc. on these two very short clips. These are two interview subjects that we'll be using in our documentary on the fortune cookie.

The first interview in the clip was shot on a DVC30, the second.. medium shot was on DVX100A, the tighter was on DVC30. Both instances we were a little rushed for time and had to be quick, but any feedback, suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks fellas,

Chris

http://organizations.oneonta.edu/wony/cookie.mov

Hi Chris,

Here's a few quickie tips:

Derrick -

Lighting needs lots of work
- Don't shoot on keylight side
- Don't place camera where you pickup reflections off shiny surfaces
- Don't let ambient lights overpower your key and fill (shadows from head on shirt)
Camera position
- Fix the framing/composition (poor symmetry of background)
- Adhere to rule of thirds (don't center subject in middle of frame)

Jenny
Lighting
- Use at least 2/1 ration between key and fill light
Framing
- Fix depth of field so background clutter is out of focus (eliminate distractions - move camera as far away as possible and zoom way in, use ND filter, open shutter, etc)
- Ditto on the transition to second camera
- Adhere to rule of thirds (don't center subject in middle of frame)
- Camera should be at least the same height as subject's head
- Consider pulling in 1st camera to add drama (not just going tight on 2nd camera)
- Stage practicals in picture; add supportive material on Chinese cooking, books, etc (we only see part of a cutoff Oriental box - poorly supporting message)
Editing
- Don't do quick cut one time and slow dissolve the next time
- Don't repeatedly cut between camera - transitions should have a purpose, hopefully supporting the message (not distracting the viewer)

I tend to be fussy with audio and thought you did a good job with your lavalier - well placed and effective.

We could get into issues with lighting color, motivated light, interview content, etc but for now continue to concentrate on the basics.

Hope this helps - if you're into serious interview lighting, consider purchasing "How to Setup, Light, and Shoot Great Looking Interviews".

Warm Regards, Michael

moonkitnite is right on the lighting aspect.

One thing I wanna add is that I didn´t get the purpose of the first interview: this guy is explaining the process of cookie making. He is doing very poorly at that (maybe he still felt uncomfortable in front of the camera, maybe he was searching for the right words in english...).
Anyway, the viewer gets the information, but in the worst way possible.
Why not just go and shoot the process itself? Even when used only as a voice over this take was too rough-running...

The woman´s interview is a good example on how important directing is in interviews.
If someone just bla-blas on, reaching a point where he or she says that she focused on a certain topic (here: the fortune cookie), then starts with the explanation ("because"), then stops to think saying out loud that she lost her line ("why? i don´t know...) and then keeps on talking WITHOUT giving a true explanation, it´s on you to get back to this point and make her ACTUALLY say, what she was only TRYING to say.
In a nice and charming way you have re-ask her what "layers of history where unlocked" or in which way the where unlocked or if she could give examples for this unlocking.
All in all both interviewies didn´t seem very confident in their way of talking.
This could eg result from rushing the interviews, bad information from your side what you want from them (directing!) or bad preparation on their side.
Even if the lighting would have been good on these takes, I´d still trash them, no offence and just my 2c, of course.
Good luck!

Moonlitnite,

Thanks for your response, this is exactly what I've been looking for. My professor at school doesn't give us any of this type of criticism which is exactly what I was hoping for. All he does in class is show us movie after movie and doesn't ever go in-depth in regards to "hands on" technique. Everything I've learned machine/equipment wise is self-taught, and yes this is my first attempt at a doc. Jenny's interview had crappy lighting because we could only do it during the day, and her apartment was very small. I was unhappy with how far away it looked but she had to leave soon and so we had to kind of hurry along.. same with Derrick.

Spartacus,

Thank you for your input as well, but I'm worried you're taking the portion of footage I posted too serious. These particular instances I merely threw together to present to our class, so they can see SOME of the progress we've made, these clips aren't even necessarily going to be in our final movie. That's why I'm not worried about Jenny stumbling, or Derrick rambling. The reason I had no B-Roll of the factory is because he wouldn't let us in. I am however going to Philly this weekend to get shots of a factory making some cookies during the day. I will have to pay more attention when my interviewees start rambling though I understand what you're talking about there, thanks.

Sucks both these interviews had to be rushed, I figure it's a good first experience though. Thanks again for your input, I will definitely be referring back to your suggestions in the future. I'll post another clip in the future that actually represents a usable portion of what we're doing.

Chris

Rehi Chris,

Good for you - sounds like you're making good progress and paying attention, even if you need to go outside the classroom to get practical hands-on advise. Continue to watch interviews on TV, the Internet, DVDs, etc.

And I'm glad to see you've identified how critical the time element becomes in shooting. We have limited time to setup lighting, sound, camera and support gear. So it pays to be efficient and well prepared when setting up as well as be prepared with contingency plans. In time, you'll learn that even with limited gear, you'll find ways to do a quality shoot - sometimes it's as simple as having the subject sit elsewhere in the room; other times, you'll be able to close the curtains, add some light, and tweak your iris, etc.

Good luck, Michael

Back