I have some more film questions

Kid_Filmmaker

I've watched about four or five videos so far (I have more to watch tomorrow) of Film Riot on Youtube and WOW, BOY, did I learn a lot and I am know even MORE excited (and determined) to get on set than before! However, I do have some questions and I thought I'd ask those here on this forum, they are:

1) Would it be weird if I made a bio of the character that I want each actor to play and have the bio to include the ticks and mannerisms of the character, the characters background profile and etc., or should I leave that up to the actor to develop as I'm taking that freedom and privilege away from the actor?

2) I saw Ryan, the guy from Film Riot having his actors shoot his film from 8 in the morning until 3 in the morning...and I thought you could only shoot a film
from 8 a.m. - 7 p.m., can you actually have your actors shoot from 8 a.m. until 3 a.m. in the morning? Does this rule even apply to a union actor or a recognizable, experienced TV/Film actor as well?

3) How do actors know how to turn an emotion off right after the director yells "cut!" Like if an actor is doing a scene where they're in a room, going through severe Heroin withdraws and the director is filming it, after the director yells "cut!", the actor just stops acting like he's experiencing the withdraws and gets up and walks off set? lol, I mean, it sounds weird to me in my head but it probably isn't, I'm sure but I am just curious.

1. It depends on your actor. I would avoid showing your actor the bio of your character, but I would discuss it with them. Have a conversation with them about how they feel the character should be played, and let them know if that's totally not what you were going for. You are, after all, the director.

2. You can shoot a film any time you want. You could make your crew work 30 hours straight, but they will probably mutiny and walk off set. If your actors are unionized (SAG-AFTRA) then the rules are: meals after 6 hours, time and a half after 8 hours, double time after 12 hours. Craft unions (IATSE) usually runs the same way; meal at 6 hours, time and a half is usually 10 hours, and double time after 12. Golden time at 18 I believe, which is your day rate per hour.

Now since you probably aren't going to be hiring union crew and cast, you can do whatever you damn well please. But hot meals every 6 hours is industry standard, even for non-union shoots. Shoots over 12 hours suck, and you should give your crew 12 hours off before your next call time. 8 hours turnaround is the union requirement for crew, 12 for SAG AFTRA.

3. That depends on the actor. Most can't easily break character after a particularly intense scene. Some actors are method actors, which mean they never break character. Some actors take a minute in the trailer to get into character, and as a director you need to be able to let your crew know to be professional around an actor who is in character before a particularly tough scene.

1. It depends on your actor. I would avoid showing your actor the bio of your character, but I would discuss it with them. Have a conversation with them about how they feel the character should be played, and let them know if that's totally not what you were going for. You are, after all, the director.

2. You can shoot a film any time you want. You could make your crew work 30 hours straight, but they will probably mutiny and walk off set. If your actors are unionized (SAG-AFTRA) then the rules are: meals after 6 hours, time and a half after 8 hours, double time after 12 hours. Craft unions (IATSE) usually runs the same way; meal at 6 hours, time and a half is usually 10 hours, and double time after 12. Golden time at 18 I believe, which is your day rate per hour.

Now since you probably aren't going to be hiring union crew and cast, you can do whatever you damn well please. But hot meals every 6 hours is industry standard, even for non-union shoots. Shoots over 12 hours suck, and you should give your crew 12 hours off before your next call time. 8 hours turnaround is the union requirement for crew, 12 for SAG AFTRA.

3. That depends on the actor. Most can't easily break character after a particularly intense scene. Some actors are method actors, which mean they never break character. Some actors take a minute in the trailer to get into character, and as a director you need to be able to let your crew know to be professional around an actor who is in character before a particularly tough scene.

Wow, ok that all makes sense, thanks...

Last edited:
http://www.dir.ca.gov/iwc/IWCArticle12.pdf

Can't shoot longer than 16 hours. Meals every 6 hours and I believe it's 10 hours after you wrap until you can be called again.

Those are the important ones, but I would give this a read through and try and make it a habit to start following it as soon as possible. Don't want any bad habits forming. :)

For nr 3.I will give you a great advice, take actinn lessons, for film or for theater. Then you will understand what it takes to be an actor, and also, most importantly, what to say to an actor.

For nr 3.I will give you a great advice, take actinn lessons, for film or for theater. Then you will understand what it takes to be an actor, and also, most importantly, what to say to an actor.
This is great advice indeed.

Going to add some additional thoughts.

1) Would it be weird if I made a bio of the character that I want each actor to play and have the bio to include the ticks and mannerisms of the character, the characters background profile and etc., or should I leave that up to the actor to develop as I'm taking that freedom and privilege away from the actor?

edinc90 is right in that it depends on your actor. And what will make a difference is, level of experience and how that particular actor is inspired to performance. Every actor I've ever met is different in this way. A directors job is also to manage that to get the best from them. The key is information. Every actor loves information. Where the character is from, what made them who they are today, importantly who they are today and finally what journey they are taking. These are keys to the character. A seasoned actor will go out and research this themselves as well for example , the character is a recovered heroin addict - they'll be looking up what recovered heroin addicts are like and find things like this http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/advice-support-40/alcohol-drugs-addiction-support-462/893079-anyone-partner-who-ex-heroin-addict-all.html

Hopefully if you're writing the scripts yourself, you'll be doing the same and through research and the history of your particular character you can develop the best character with the actor. Not so seasoned actors may need more guidance in this and may need more a more hands on approach.

2) I saw Ryan, the guy from Film Riot having his actors shoot his film from 8 in the morning until 3 in the morning...and I thought you could only shoot a film
from 8 a.m. - 7 p.m., can you actually have your actors shoot from 8 a.m. until 3 a.m. in the morning? Does this rule even apply to a union actor or a recognizable, experienced TV/Film actor as well?

On low budget you may have a location one day / limited funds and this may cause you to end up wanting to do this. Try to avoid where possible., though I have done it in the past. A grumpy cast and crew can be volatile. Worse ,a tired crew can make mistakes and your OH&S can be compromised. Avoid. As far as an individual actor - read point 1. A particular actor may be quite agreeable to tiredness to pull the emotion required for a scene.

3) How do actors know how to turn an emotion off right after the director yells "cut!" Like if an actor is doing a scene where they're in a room, going through severe Heroin withdraws and the director is filming it, after the director yells "cut!", the actor just stops acting like he's experiencing the withdraws and gets up and walks off set? lol, I mean, it sounds weird to me in my head but it probably isn't, I'm sure but I am just curious.

This will depend on how you're running the show (more importantly how your 1st is running the show). You need to be careful, there are times you want to keep the emotion flowing for numerous takes. Actors are professional and trained to drop in and out of scenes. They may do scene 35 one minute where they mourn the loss of their mother and scene 10 the next where theyre in the midst of a board meeting. etc etc. Again, with less experienced cast they need your support through this. Support is entirely different from saying do this or do that.

Theres much more to it, but hope this helps some way.

Back