Motion Control (Motorized) Dollies

Izod Foldger

I'm looking for dolly track motors or some kind of motion control dolly setup. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for something that can support a good amount of weight (at least around 100 lbs), so not a basic motorized slider, but a motor that can push a dolly with precision.

So far I've only found two...

https://www.motion-warriors.com/product/dolly-kit/

https://www.longvalleyequip.com/stingray.php

The Longvalley one is rental only, so that rules it out as I'm looking for something to buy, but the concept looks good, and the photo shows it pushing a Fisher dolly, so it can clearly handle a lot of weight. I wonder if there's something else out there like it that is available for sale.

As far as available to buy, the Motion Warrior one is the only dolly track motor I've found. It appears to be belt driven which seems more cumbersome to setup than the Longvalley one, and while it has photos of around 100 lb setups it's pushing, it doesn't list a weight capacity, so not sure if it can handle a Fisher with a person and camera on it, not that I necessarily need that much capacity, but could be nice to have.

Aside from those, there's also the Agito dolly, which looks great, but is a bit out of my budget currently at $80k to $130k depending on what configuration you get. Another is the Vinten Hexagon dolly which is also above budget at $140k, and doesn't look as good and versatile as the Agito at that price.

Edelkrone DollyPlus is too limiting since it needs perfectly smooth ground, and I'm not sure it'd be easy to attach a bazooka to.

I have a motorized Acebil elevator kit (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...l_iapetus_elevator_elevator_system_payload_25 kg.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQj wuaiXBhCCARIsAKZLt3nHiEPoSoZKpdtXQuLnWJfy9BwFjJknF 6XKx7d9CRaha2BDBjdIYVIaArAoEALw_wcB) that I want to attach to the dolly setup to get motion controlled dolly moves as well as vertical moves. The elevator weighs around 10-15 lbs, uses counterweights, so if you have a 20-25 lb camera, 10 lb gimbal, 35 lb counterweight, you’re at 80 lbs of weight to put on motorized dolly. Motion Warriors also sells a vertical kit, though it's a bit heavy to move around easily at 80 lbs not including the weight of the camera, plus it can’t be broken down as easily as quickly taking off counterweights. Agito Dolly has a really good elevator system, but still pricey.

Have you thought how you will synch the two.

does the system have value withot a moco head

why do you need such a system?

it seems you can get a long way with a neema 23 gcode system for a couple of grand

If you have separate systems (controllers) for the Dolly and for the elevator it would mean putting the two controllers next to each other which I don’t imagine would be much different than an integrated system where you have one controller for both. The latter of course being more convenient, but seems like both ways would work.

I already have Moco heads, RS2, Ronin 2, and a SlideKamera Moco pan and tilt head that can support 30 lbs.

Motion Warriors does have a pan and tilt head for $11k which could be an option if I went with their elevator tower and Dolly motor system to get a fully integrated setup that can be controlled by I believe one controller. It’d be around $35k for the entire setup. A bit pricey but not entirely out of reach. Though for that amount it’d be tempting to wait and eventually spend more to get the better Agito.

I want to do slow push in type shots (think Stranger Things season 4) without needing to carry around a 300+ lb Dolly like a Fisher, and also want to own it. The Agito Dolly would probably be my first choice but is above my current budget, though something I’m considering adding in the future. Panther Dolly is another option but also large and heavy and around $80k. Even with a Panther, though, it’d be nice to have a motorized option as the LongValley setup could push a Panther. Maybe I just want to fire grips and not have to load hundreds of pounds of sand bags to a Dolly to get really slow moves. Something that can be handled with a small and inexperienced crew. It doesn’t take a lot of talent to turn a forward and backward knob on a Dolly motor.

I Googled Neema 23 and looks like a type of DIY motor setup that you’d have to build in order to get it ergonomically pushing a Dolly. My DIY skills are not so good.

Im not at a computer now so its hard ti engage properly

i built a moco which had specific need - to make 12 identical films (sam product different colour packaging

makbe $3k

neema 23 runs full size cnc cutter - not a toy

in confised if you are at ronin dslr level, ronoin 2 level or $50G + level

also if you want “driven” (not repeatable) or motion control repeatable

for driven (manually) a doorway dolly with a small jib (cartoni) and ronin can work to give a booming push in
for $10g thats good.

for moco and a heavy camera ans boom you really want a small robot on track

there are some cheaper ones coming now.. $30g maybe - big enough to move a little red

after that you are in matk roberts world above $100g

Iv recently been on a (drama) job with a pee wee and with only thee grips to move it it was a massive pain

The job before we had ronin/cartoni/doorway and it was much more practical

Back