C100: Odyssey 7Q+ support for C200?

chris f

I'm realizing my Odyssey 7Q won't be able to do much with the C200 as it has no HDMI input, but I'm wondering if Convergent Design plans to support the C200 with the Odyssey Q+

It seems there's a major gap between the internal recording options until they update the firmware next year, leaving a huge hole for an external recorder to fill.

Can the 7Q not accept a 1080p feed over SDI? Not super familiar with it, but I'd think you'd just use the SDI port. If there's some reason that doesn't work, you could adapt the HDMI to whatever the 7Q uses.

the 7Q would accept the 1080p over SDI, however I'd be looking for a solution that would record the 4K signal out of the C200.

For the cost of a 7Q+, media, and a C200 ...you can buy a camera that has a proper codec in it.... :Drogar-Shock(DBG):

For instance? Not the Ursa Mini Pro. While it's a cool camera and has a good image, BMD is not quite ready for prime time with ISO ability and reliability, day in, day out. I want to fall in love with that camera, it does so many things right but the few things is doesn't nail are a big deal for our work. I still cannot help considering BMD cameras as really nice cameras for hobbyists. Someday they will run with the REDs, Canons, Sonys, Arris and Panasonics of the world. But that day is not quite here yet IMHO.

haha I've shot a lot on both, prefer the FS7 - but thats another conversation.

I'm sure Mitch will be able to chime in on CD's gear!

Since I'm no longer with CD I don't think it's appropriate for me to comment in any detail. For some basics, the Odyssey7Q (not plus) can accept up to 1080p30 over HDMI. The Odyssey7Q+ can accept up to 4K30p over HDMI. Both can accept SDI feeds as well, with the 7Q+ accepting 6G-SDI while the 7Q is 3G-SDI.

I suspect we will have an announcement from Convergent Design today on future support for new cameras coming into the marketplace. They will not want to upstage any of the camera manufacturer's who intend to announce cameras at CineGear. Any announcements should come later in the day or maybe even tomorrow, is my guess.

EDIT:

Just found out the Panasonic announcement is planned for June 2nd at 4:15 pm, presumably in the LA time zone (-8 GMT).

Last edited:
the 7Q would accept the 1080p over SDI, however I'd be looking for a solution that would record the 4K signal out of the C200.

I don`t get why you want to this. The whole point of the C200 is internal RAW (well "lite"). For the price of one of the bigger Atomos recorders you get 1 to 2 hours of internal RAW,
in a much smaller package...

Back