Write Avid Sequence on P2 with HVX possible?

mckayview

Is it possible to transfer AVID clips or sequences to a P2 card in the HVX? I would like to copy my edited stuff (PAL DVCPro50) back to the camera to use the HVX for playout/feeding directly from the camera/P2 card.

This would come in handy
- for copying to tape in a broadcast studio (I don't have the expensive pro decks)
- for feeding via tv satellite uplink to tv station.

I have Avid XPress ProHD, no Mojo.
(I posted this in HVX/workflow, no reply - maybe writing on the P2 card in the camera isn't possible at all? Can't find the point in the manual)

There is no write back to the card support at this time. If you are feeding a program for broadcast it will most likely be an MPEG-2 format which you can create in a variety of ways. Writing back to the camera would be am MCF file in an I frame format which is great for editing, but not for low bandwidth transmission.

Michael

You can print back to the card through firewire streaming though. Not through writing an MXF file to the card (only EDIUS does that, that I know of) but you can "print to tape" to a 1394 device, and then turn the thumbnails off on the camera and capture the video stream that way (same way as we do for FCP).

Barry,

Interesting topic. I was in a rush between shoots and dumped a P2 card to my workstation. I then realized I needed to downconvert that footage to 480i. I tried your method above, and after a little trouble shooting here and there, I was able to drop all of the clips (720/60p) on the timeline, and run them back to a P2 card through the firewire. It captured the timeline as 1 clip on the P2 card. However when I played it back, there is no sound...did I miss something? Is there another way to take the 720/60p footage which is already in avid and convert it to 480i?

Also, does this mean I can digi cut a 1080i sequence to 720/60p onto the P2 card in the HVX through the firewire? to then re-inport it into a 720p sequence because right now I have a few different shots that won't work together.

Barry, Michael, anyone?

thanks in advance.

E Papa

Apparantly, it IS possible to write back an Avid sequence directly to a P2 card. Ingex has a freeware ( GPL) tool to do just the thing: TransferToP2 . I haven't tried it myself yet, but you should be able to do a 'send-to' command from the Avid bin. It then creates al necessary MXF files, and copies them to a P2-card. It even creates a "AvidToP2" thumbnail.
Website here.

Barry_Green said:
You can print back to the card through firewire streaming though. Not through writing an MXF file to the card (only EDIUS does that, that I know of)
--->>but you can "print to tape" to a 1394 device
BARRY: do you mean print directly to the P2camera or some other device?
---->>>and then turn the thumbnails off on the camera and capture the video stream that way (same way as we do for FCP).
Thanx, Barry. I tried this, turning off the thumbnails (this way finally discovering the thumbnail/audio dub button on the HVX).
This way the Avid pictures should appear on the HVX display, just like with tape. But it said: format error (wrong format).
Maybe because I'm doing this with my old Xpress DV (still waiting for the XPress ProHD upgrade to arrive)? I did this with the camera recording settings on DV, though. And as XPress DV is working in DV the format should actually be the same.
I tried this with tape recorded (captured) DV material als well as DV stuff imported from the P2 via the media tool as MXF file.

Back