What do you always want in a grip truck?

Don't underetimate the putty knife! Its most useful funtion is to turn any heavy object into a grippable atachment point. Take your oxford dictionary, set it down on a shelf. Put the putty knife under it with the handle and stud sticking out, now you've got a stud that will take a 250 watt light or a reflector, etc. Think of all the work it would have taken to get a clamp into that tiny shelf space or worse yet to set up a stand.

You could light an entire film set in a library with only putty knives.

My last DP sent a PA out to the truck to get a bag of T-stops from me coupla weeks ago. I told the kid to tell the DP I forgot and left them home. Would he settle for a bag of F-stops?

My last DP sent a PA out to the truck to get a bag of T-stops from me coupla weeks ago. I told the kid to tell the DP I forgot and left them home. Would he settle for a bag of F-stops?

Stupid, you can't have a bag of F-stops... They come in boxes.

Yeah, like Paunch said, BEER. Preferrably cold. If you get enough chunks of beadboard, you can make your own cooler. Get a plastic bag and ice from crafty and you're all set.

I stuck a baby pin into a 20" box fan. Clamp it to the side of the door for a nice breeze into the back of the cube truck on those hot, muggy days. I forget which brand baby pin, but it's nice and fat on the bottom. About an inch, I think.

Other amenities: Tunes and those folding camp chairs.

In 4 years I've never used a putty knife. I look forward to the day when I can say that I actually need one.

Recently I'm all about the spray bottle and squeegee. Totally the best way to put up gels and a great addition to any truck.

In 4 years I've never used a putty knife. I look forward to the day when I can say that I actually need one.

Recently I'm all about the spray bottle and squeegee. Totally the best way to put up gels and a great addition to any truck.

Now that's funny. Well, keep doing those location shoots and you'll find the day. Last time I used one was in a jail cell that had no bars just a door with a tiny window. There was a recessed light in the concrete ceiling that had a little flat trim edge around it that was flat against the ceiling. A putty knife with spud was perfect for putting a light up there and better than a stand because you could point the camera in any direction. That, in turn, worked, because there was a big fat pipe, maybe 6", in the corner from ceiling to floor and we could hide the power cable behind it and run it out under the door.

Speaking of that pipe, I always make sure to have some big C-clamps, 10" or 12" because Cardellinis are never big enough to clamp onto lots of things in practical sets but those babies have the reach when you need it. I put another light on the pipe for a kicker.

I don't squeegee on gels, for a variety of reasons. I wonder, could you give a nice complete explanation of how it's done with any tips and tricks? Thanks.

I need a gel cart with rolls of geles manly nd. in differing densities and cto and ctb. spare bulbs for all my lites. because time is $.:smile:

107 degrees today loading these for a shoot

107 degrees today loading these for a shoot

Sometimes I wish I didn't need so much stuff in a truck!

Attachments

• trucks2.jpg
    trucks2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0
Back