what do people use to transport your lights?

matthewd5

ok i've got 2 dp lights, 2 omni lights, 1 pro light, 1 tota light and 1 lowel L light.

plus a bucket full of snoots, barndoors etc. and half a dozen light stands and a bunch of extension cords.

i have a pretty large porta brace lighting case.

the case will hold all the lights but no accessories, or it will hold all the accessories but no lights

any suggestions?

i'm thinking to use a hardig stormcase interior dimensions 17x22 and put in a piece of fairly hard foam with sort of a tic-tac-toe pattern cut into the foam and put each light in a space.

but i wasn't sure if anyone had anything more efficent?

matthew

Re: what do people use to transport your lights?

no the price seems fine, i would pay more than that for a hardig storm case with it custom foam cut.

i have already got a few of those and i love them but this might better suit the lights.

i just spent a lot on a case to hold my car mount setup, but its nice to have all of the stuff together in one kit.

i'll have to sketch out the size and see how my stuff fits in there. do they sell extra velcro dividers? more than four might be nice?

matthew

it looks like a nice design and it is easier and less expensive than to get a hardig hard case and have it customized.

none of the cases i have seen deal with c stands, only the lighter weight lightstands that collaps like a tripod.

matthew

i just checked out the optional bits and pieces and you can buy a lot of extra sectional pieces for the kata case.

i have to start looking at the kata cases, other than one of their trollys i have been pretty much a porta brace or hardig snob.

the maze 4 case looks like just the ticket!

thanks for the tip walter!

matthew

yes i have read that article a couple of times.

i guess i forgot you had it in just one case and that it was one that was still available.

i hadn't seen any case in person that was big enough to hold all that stuff.

that is one of the drawbacks to living in western mass. vs. nyc, when i do get to b&h in person they don't always have everything there to touch firsthand.

matthew

Have you already bought the C-Stands? If not I would recomend you get the ones that have the removeable legs. They fold up too and should fit in most cases that were only designed for light stands. Dont forget though the a 3-4 light kit plus 2 or 3 c-stands is going to be one heavy ----. Look for wheels or get two bags to get the job done.

i ordered the maze-4 bag and an extra set of dividers, should be here tomorrow (friday)

i had to measure my jeep because half the time that is my transport vehicle. the maze-3 would have fit a little bit better but the maze 4 st a much better deal $/sq. feet

i guess i have to start looking at more than porta brace...

it was a pretty good deal, costs about the same as 3 or 4 tiffen filters and i buy those all the time.

matthew

Back