Rigging 53" seameless on 40" grip arm

Are bounce butterfly/overhead fabrics too big?

Well, they're available in various sizes. But yes, after my last post I asked myself if I would be better served by something like an ultrabounce: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...trabounce.html

It would almost certainly reflect more light and cause less spill through translucency. But I definitely wouldn't put it in a frame. That would be a big step in the wrong direction as far as manageability and maneuverability go. I could clamp the corners to stands or put one clamp in the middle and let the excess hang off. I could clamp it to 3 stands and bend it into a cove.

But ultimately I think it's going to be more configurable and more manageable for one person if I want to adjust it by myself if it's in individual pieces on individual stands (a bunch of seamlesses each on their own stand). Especially when you want to part the seas and bring the camera to a different angle in between the pieces.

I also think that less efficient light sources tend to be prettier. I don't know if that extends to bounce materials...

I see the main advantage of using a frame to be adjusting the angle of the bounce. But in this case, I'm mostly interested in side lighting. And getting high or low angle is somewhat achieved by extending the bounce further in that direction I think.

Having the frame would probably be most useful for soft overhead source. Currently I use a softbox, umbrella, 4x4 silk or some combination of those for that purpose. Can't remember the last time I keyed for this client with a toplight. In theory I could stretch a couple seamlesses overhead and clamp to an arm on the other side... having an ultrabounce in a frame would probably be better... We could always get one for overhead if we feel like we need it...

What do you think?

Wow, TRP hasn't always been on B&H, good to know.

I'd be avoiding full frames too for what you're after. I doubt you'd be altering the look drastically either way, I think it just comes down to size of source (of modifier) you're after and what you prefer to carry. Sometimes long narrow objects are easier (roll), sometimes a soft bag (rag) with ability to tie to things is easier.

Re size, an 8x8 for example lets you dial in the width by folding it back on itself, where as with the roll, you're essentially bound to that width but can easily keep getting more height out of it.

Two cheap 4' square tube lengths would let you "t-bone" a compact set up, using either an ear or sleeve (sleeve can be placed in cardellini, super clamp or even in between the discs of the gobo head)

https://modernstudio.com/products/sleeve-for-1-square-tube?_pos=4&_sid=b26bb00c0&_ss=r
https://modernstudio.com/products/ear-for-1-square-tube-with-t-handles?_pos=1&_sid=b26bb00c0&_ss=r

With the rolls though, it'd look cool having these perfectly flat sheets suspended vs. not 100% smooth fabrics - only an aesthetic thing, not actually impacting the results.

You could always look into a custom made fabric that's perfect width of the c-stand arm with the desired length, something like a 4'x8' unbleached muslin or ultrabounce if you want the black solid too.

Back