please delete

You should never judge exposure by how it "looks" onboard the camera. Period.
Learn to use zebras, waveform (never histogram), or use a light meter if you want. But you should never judge exposure by eye. Your post is a perfect example of why that is so.

BTW, the title of this thread is impossible.

Last edited:
Good advice. However, I believe the A7C has no WFM, only histogram. You can certainly expose well with histogram.

But it has zebras and that's all that is needed for setting correct video exposure. Histograms are meant for stills, and they don't really show correct exposure anyway.

I didn't see the original tweet, but despite hating Histograms most of my life , I find them very valuable when shooting Log . If they are in the middle and my lighting balance looks good then I'm safe.

I didn't see the original tweet, but despite hating Histograms most of my life , I find them very valuable when shooting Log . If they are in the middle and my lighting balance looks good then I'm safe.

Agreed. definitely better than nothing. haha.

loving all these exposure threads. sad the OP deleted their post.

I’m one of the rare people that is totally fine with people exposing off the monitor. I don’t do it when working, but when enjoying the day and working with a camera+monitor setup i am really familiar with, it is really easy to get things. The main mistake people make is over exposung in the day trying to see something on a dim screen, and under exposing at night with a cranked up screen. I see this often in wedding videos by self taught entrepreneurs. they still get some good stuff, just on the occasion some stuff is just clipped pretty hard. I’ve met some people that shoot for Nike ads that don’t know half the stuff we do, and his work was able to snag some great paying clients. So the more style or self employed types can do whatever works for them, and they get amazing stuff sometimes, so i have a hard time being too dogmatic. Just willing to talk it through and answer questions when people have them.

Back