Panasonic X2

Peter C.

I recently got it and used it on a performance for the first time.

I had a few issues I’m sorting through.

1. Remote: They’ve change from a clunky two wire to one Lanc. I’m have issues with my VeriZoom it woks with the CX350 but stutters with the X2. Is there something wrong with my camera or did Panasonic change something to make not work with a standard lanc remote? Do I need to buy a specific Panasonic lanc? I really need a remote that can zoom and change the iris when filming a performance where camera is up high and you don’t want to touch the camera. Many of the remotes can only zoom no iris.

2. I neither completely understand or like how they handle audio. I had turned on limiters for safety but the issue is there is no indication when the limiters are being engaged. Ended up crushing the crap out of a loud performance.

They have a setting called “headroom” 12, 18, or 20db. What does this mean is this when the limiters engages? The manual doesn’t explain anything.

There is a line on the meters I assumed was -12db but now I think it could be -20db but again no documentation to know.

3. I tried use focus assist while recording it zooms in but doesn’t effect the recording however when you use it resets the gain to zero. Why would you design it to work this way?

It’s funny how somethings they improved, there got worse. Mixed bag.

Last edited:
Hi, did you ever get the LANC remote issue worked out? I just bought an HC-X2 and was disappointed that my DVX200's VariZoom VZ-Rock doesn't work at all with the HC-X2. I'm close to returning the HC-X2 if I can't find a good zoom control for it. I have no need for remote iris control.

Varizoom told me to buy the current VZrock remote. The record button and zoom rocker worked although the iris controls didn't. In fine print said some features may not be available.

Last edited:
I got the remote solved. Panasonic customer service was no help but Varizoom was great. They told me to buy the current VZrock remote and the record button and zoom rocker worked although the iris controls didn't. In fine print at the bottom of the page it said some features may not be available.

The only con is it works no better than any other remote I've used. Meaning it takes practice and a gentle touch to slowly ramp up and down the speed of the zoom. The rocker on the camera will always be better. But this is not a con of the remote you will find this is true with any lanc remote for camcorders.
Interesting. Technically my zoom remote is called a VariZoom VZ-ROCK-PZFI. So I guess PZFI is an alternative to LANC, or maybe an older model? I don't really research these different protocols until I run into compatibility issues years later and realize what I own haha.

Question, what color is the VariZoom company font on the face of your working VZrock remote? I see some with silver VariZoom and some with red VariZoom and I assume one might be newer.

Glad to be of help. Let us know how you do.
I was able to try a cheaper LANC remote today while I'm waiting for the VZ-Rock to ship, and I'm definitely noticing some stuttering with the zoom. Looking forward to trying the one you listed here when it gets delivered. Until then, I'm just happy that the Zoom remote function works since that would have been a dealbreaker for me.

BTW, in your original post you mention the headroom function. I notice the line on the audio meter moves as you toggle the headroom selections. So it seems like -12 Headroom also shows a -12 line on the meter. -18 moves the line further left and the audio levels lower proportionally to match. Perhaps a good thing to have used during that loud performance you referred to.

Also I don't encounter your issue of the gain resetting with the usage of Focus Assist. Do you still have that happen to your camera?

I was able to try a cheaper LANC remote today while I'm waiting for the VZ-Rock to ship, and I'm definitely noticing some stuttering with the zoom. Looking forward to trying the one you listed here when it gets delivered. Until then, I'm just happy that the Zoom remote function works since that would have been a dealbreaker for me.
Actually my JVC version VZrock did the same stuttering and I thought there was something wrong with the camera but it was just an incompatible remote. It's annoying Panasonic can't follow the standard especially considering they took features away not added them.

Also I don't encounter your issue of the gain resetting with the usage of Focus Assist. Do you still have that happen to your camera?
I have discovered when the gain is selected and highlighted in the LCD, it's "temporary" and will reset if you use Focus Assist. If you push the jog dial in, the gain is no longer highlighted it will no longer be effected by Focus Assist.

Last edited:
BTW, in your original post you mention the headroom function. I notice the line on the audio meter moves as you toggle the headroom selections. So it seems like -12 Headroom also shows a -12 line on the meter. -18 moves the line further left and the audio levels lower proportionally to match. Perhaps a good thing to have used during that loud performance you referred to.
Don't see a point if it only lowers the gain I could do that by turning down the levels. I don't like there's no indication of when the limiter is being engaged.

I'll have to do some more tests at home to try see what headroom does but for now I've turn it off.

Last edited:
Actually my JVC version VZrock did the same stuttering and I thought there was something wrong with the camera but it was just an incompatible remote. It's annoying Panasonic can't follow the standard especially considering they took features away not added them.
Wow that's a terrible stutter. My current LANC remote stutter is pretty insignificant in comparison, but I'm still looking for perfection. Hope the new VZ Rock will be perfect :) or I'll just return whichever one ends up being worse.

Back