Nikon to buy 100% of RED

I ignored it because he also mentioned Canon (lol), so figured he's mostly talking about higher end cine corporate, not Hollywood.

Venice got a slow start but it's unstoppable now, and I'm, quite frankly, happy to see it.

I ignored it because he also mentioned Canon (lol), so figured he's mostly talking about higher end cine corporate, not Hollywood.

Venice got a slow start but it's unstoppable now, and I'm, quite frankly, happy to see it.

Mmmm I'd hesitate to call any brand unstoppable, having seen a lot of rising and falling over the past 15 years amongst the major brands.

Yeah, maybe I would agree but probably not for the same reason as you might.

I think Sony is unstoppable in this different time now because there is pretty much going to be nobody left unless big tech creates something crazy.

Google still owns Lytro and haven't done anything with it and maybe that rainy day is coming soon.

Apple, Amazon, Tesla, Meta, Microsoft, ByteDance (TikTok), etc...they can make things.

The million dollar question is, once introducing Z mount to red will Nikon heavily slash red camera prices to increase its market share?

Nothing too crazy; I think we'll see models around $4K, $6K (like Komodo variants) - and higher - but not like $1300 Pocket though.

Heck if the Varicam looks that good, why isn't everyone shooting with it? They must be doing something different in post, though, because this season has a distinctly different look than any previous season. Very bright, crisp, colorful without being oversaturated. See if your friend agrees that the look is quite different this season, and why that might be, despite the same camera and lenses.

Finally heard back from the DP on Curb, he said nothing different in the sauce this year in terms of the grade either. Same everything as the previous few seasons.

Finally heard back from the DP on Curb, he said nothing different in the sauce this year in terms of the grade either. Same everything as the previous few seasons.

Charles, thanks for the follow-up. I just now quickly spot-checked a few episodes from previous seasons and it seems to me that there was a change in quality between seasons 8 and 9. For some reason this season just jumped out at me as being brighter, crisper, and better color. But I guess it has been that way for at least four seasons. Those Varicams are great looking cameras. We had 20 of them on a reality/sports show I worked on in Fiji in 2019 and the images were fantastic. I think a lot of that same Panasonic DNA must be in my S1H too, because I still say it is the best-looking camera I own. I don't use it very often because of other reasons, but I think the Panasonics all look fantastic.

Those Varicams are great looking cameras. We had 20 of them on a reality/sports show I worked on in Fiji in 2019 and the images were fantastic. I think a lot of that same Panasonic DNA must be in my S1H too, because I still say it is the best-looking camera I own. I don't use it very often because of other reasons, but I think the Panasonics all look fantastic.

I'm sitting on my LT for now, I just don't think it is worth selling for the maybe $5K I'll get for it. It does make me chuckle that it is now considered "large and heavy".

I'm sitting on my LT for now, I just don't think it is worth selling for the maybe $5K I'll get for it. It does make me chuckle that it is now considered "large and heavy".

I still have my F55/R7 and FS7 for similar reasons. They still get used often enough that it's not really worth selling.

It's absurd to me that Nikon would even bother doing this if they aren't planning something along the lines of what Abe mentioned.

As others have noted -- they acquired Mark Roberts Motion Control in 2016 and have essentially let them continue operating independently; while integrating that IP & expertise into Nikon branded product(s). That is what they will do with RED.

Nikon is finally reckoning with the reality that if you want to be a successful camera maker; you have to be all-in on video. Otherwise, why would new users buy into your system? With Sony & Canon; you can graduate to pro video bodies with native lenses and accessories you have been investing in. Z mount is a dead-end prior to acquiring a firm like RED. Nikon could never have been able to do that on their own. It's not just for REDCODE or to make a lawsuit go away.

Legitimate R5C II / FX3 II + FX6 II competitors are their immediate targets; and I bet they let RED cinema cameras alone for a couple years. Eventually those become Nikon RED starting with a Z-mount Burano competitor.

Announcement of acquisition of Mark Roberts Motion Control | News | Nikon About Us

RED Will Continue to Support Canon RF, But Nikon is 'Considering' Making Cine Optics | PetaPixel

This interview has a lot more indications that the above is more Nikon's strategy. It certainly directly contradicts some people's speculation that Nikon bought Red to make a lawsuit go away & will dismantle RED in a couple years.

I don’t keep track of everyone opinions but don’t believe anyone thought Nikon would “dismantle” RED but others including myself believed they would change the lens mount to Nikon which this proves to be correct. This news also doesn’t disprove the acquisition was to settle the lawsuit in a mutually beneficial way. You realize that two things or more can be true? It’s not an either or decision.

Continue to support RF is corporate double speak because how is changing the mount to Nikon supporting RF? For existing cameras what support are they actually doing?

Last edited:
RED Will Continue to Support Canon RF, But Nikon is 'Considering' Making Cine Optics | PetaPixel

This interview has a lot more indications that the above is more Nikon's strategy. It certainly directly contradicts some people's speculation that Nikon bought Red to make a lawsuit go away & will dismantle RED in a couple years.

A lot of people outside of old ENG dogs like me probably don't remember, or never knew, that Nikon used to build ENG lenses. An old friend of mine used to have one of their w/a's back in the SD days. It was even more rare to see someone shooting with one than an Angenieux ENG lens.

People who don't know history don't know that Nikon is a lens company who also sells cameras. The cameras are vehicle to sell their lenses not the other way around. So it's not a surprise they're changing RED mount to Nikon, it would have been more surprising if they didn't. Buying RED gives them a new market to sell more lenses.

I couldn't sit through this rambling, disjointed interview, but what I got from it, was the burning answer, that yes, both sides were loaded and cocked for war in the patent courtroom when they put it on hold and made an offer to Jarred which he quickly accepted. Although RED had some cool products, as a company it feels to me like they were at a dead end. And he can say what he wants to the RED faithful, but it's game over. This is Nikon now. There was nothing on RED's roadmap except camera mounts and firmware for Raptor X. Contrast Jarred with Grant Petty, easy. Shoot some hoops at lunch and beer after work. Grant showed a completely different company, a company brimming with excitement and ideas and products coming to market. Of course, one day probably not too far off, he too will get an offer he can't refuse causing it all to change but for now, Grant's hitting his prime. I can't imagine Nikon paying anything for RED, its products, engineering or personnel above goodwill value.

Back