Neoscene - Mac and PC Workflow - One Step Pulldown Removal

Sorry I'm a newbie three day old GH1 user, using trial version of Neoscene, conversions looking good, nothing wrong.

One question on pal models, for my 1080, am i removing pulldown? am i deinterlacing? or am i checking neither box? this is for 108050i, but it already says 25p when i drag it to queue.

T

3rd Edit: Still pretty crash-happy. It seems kind of random. At least now when it crashes (right after pressing the Convert button) it seems to initiate the background process that actually converts the footage, so it's kind of like starting a job in Compressor and then closing your Batch Monitor. The file still converts, but you don't get an indicator of its progress (other than monitoring the file size in the Finder).

Doing the same thing to me. Thought at first that it was crashing on me, uninstalled, yada yada but you're right, it converts but the progress bar doesn't show up.

One question about something that I haven't figured out. When updating, it mentions to not deactivate Cineform. Yet when I uninstall it (the correct way would be to delete the two Cineform folders in the library/quicktime folder right?), and then update it it sees it as a trial when I re-open it. Of course running the uninstall program does the same thing. Is there something I'm missing here, or do I really have to re-activate it everytime?

I didn't have to reactivate mine - even when I ran the uninstall script, rebooted, and reinstalled. I do have the Cineform Player software installed as well, maybe that stores the activation info?

I have both the Neo Player and Neo Scene files installed.

After leaving my computer on for a file to finish converting, I just realized that the program just doesn't work anymore, it just hangs up, yet the converted video file gets bigger and bigger (it was now up to 140GB...original file is 140MB...)...it was working perfectly 2 days ago after I've been able to reactive it.

Those issues are getting on my nerves since I have projects that I want to actually work on.

I'm finding Toast 10 to be a pretty good substitute until Cineform gets its software updated fully. You can export from MTS to whatever Quicktime codecs you want (or Cineform) and performance is pretty fast to boot. This is on 720p60 clips, however, not 1080p24 clips that need pulldown removed.

Okay, there's another new NeoScene build. This one seems more stable so far. I haven't had a crash yet, knock on wood!

Do I have to buy neoscene for imovie and fcp

Do I have to buy neoscene for imovie and fcp

In order to get mts files into an editor do i just need to buy neoscene. Because when i hook up my external harddrives with the mts files on them Both imovie and fcp will not let me import them. unless I do it from the camera inself directly into imovie. But that doesn't help me with the files that are on the other drives. We shoot all the footage at (FHD 1920 x 1080 24p). Please help me I am very new at this.
Thanks Jay

What versions of FCP and iMovie? And what version of Mac OS, plus are you on an Intel or PPC machine?

Using Log and Transfer in FCP, you should be able to get the MTS files in okay assuming you preserved all the other files in the /PRIVATE hierarchy on the memory card. If you just have the MTS's, then FCP doesn't seem to be able to do it, but Cineform does. Voltaic might as well, I haven't tested it.

Can you SEE the difference when pulldown is removed on a computer? I just Neo Scened a scene and I can't really see a huge difference, if I'm seeing one at all.

Like between 1080p24 w/ pulldown and without? It makes a big difference, but mostly on scenes with motion. Look at a camera pan with pulldown and you'll see a lot of unusual stuttering as it moves; with pulldown removed it should be nice and smooth (assuming the original camera move was).

If i edit video on two different computers (my laptop and desktop) will I need to buy two separate licenses of Neoscene ?

I emailed Cineform with a question but didn't get a reply. Here is my question, what should I do with GH1 PAL 1080p footage, deinterlace it or maintain source frame format?

I emailed Cineform with a question but didn't get a reply. Here is my question, what should I do with GH1 PAL 1080p footage, deinterlace it or maintain source frame format?

Do not deinterlace. Mark the remove pulldown and fix chroma boxes. Set for target file format. I use ProRes LT because I am on a Mac and ProRes SQ is overkill and Cineform stresses the computer.

"Mark the remove pulldown" does not apply to PAL footage as there is no pulldown to remove in PAL footage. Only reason to use Neoscene with PAL is if wanting to use the Cineform codec.

I'm getting glitched frames in the latest NeoScene build (27 on 10.6.2). Anyone else having this problem? It's happening on 720p60 MTS files from which I'm "removing" pulldown (i.e. dropping frames to get a 23.98 file for non-slow motion).

This is really unacceptable for something so basic to be broken in a mature build of the product. What are they even doing?

Wait, you're dropping frames from 720 60P to get to 24P? You should only be removing pulldown on 1080 material.

Wait, you're dropping frames from 720 60P to get to 24P? You should only be removing pulldown on 1080 material.

It's footage that was shot to give us the option of slow motion or regular motion. Some clips are being left at 60p, others are being dropped down to 24p. I know you can drop 60p clips on a 24p timeline and have the NLE do it but that necessitates rendering, plus the files are much larger. This has worked perfectly well in previous builds, but the new one makes a mess.

Once picture is locked, I'll go back to the original MTS files and do one of the fancier 60-to-24 conversions (with Compressor or Shake & optical flow) but for now just dropping the frames is enough to get an edit down.

Edit: Found this thread about the issue: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1843156

Ah, that's a bummer. I've quit using neoscene. Like you I've found that it's always felt like a beta program and it was doing some very strange things to my 7D footage. So just sticking to mpeg streamclip for now.

Back