FS7: My 18-110 lens fell. Have to replace front lens.

Publimix

My Sony 18-110 lens fell on the floor. The bulky lens hood broke off tearing the 'Lens Front Barrel Tube Filter Mount Block' off.

I had an UV Filter mounted on the 'Lens Front Barrel Tube Filter Mount Block' but that didn't protect anything because it came off. So the front lens element got a scratch, about 3mm long and 0,5 mm wide.

I ordered a new 'Lens Front Barrel Tube Filter Mount Block' a metal/plastic ring that was mounted with tiny screws.

I also ordered a new front element and to my surprise that only costs $110.

With a small screwdriver and some self confidence that will be easy to replace. (I hope).

Conclusion: do you need UV filter to protect front lens? I don't know.

P1780414.jpg

Last edited:
For most situations, can't really hurt. For a fall to a hard floor...UV filter isn't really going to help you any.

Also: OUCH!

I had the same thing happen and semt it to Sony to fix the $100 part. They insisted on recalibrating the whole lens for an additional $650 even though it was functioning fine . That in turn screwed up the backfocus so it was no longer parfocal - which they didn't quite understand- and after 2 more tries they gave up and sent me 2 used lenses from "Borrow Lenses" to pick which one I wanted. Took about 2 months altogether. You were smart to just buy the part.

UV filte didn't break, UV filter was attached to front lens ring. The lens hood came of with the UV filter.

Wow, tough break (no pun intended). The video I linked indicated that you tend to get mechanical issues in the body of the lens before the front element suffers much damage (and UV filters do squat to protect either). Apart from the scratch is the lens itself working OK?

The scratch can cause flare when filming outside. Lens is fine and the zoom works, image is sharp. I would't bother the scratch, but I have to replace the ring it is easier to do both anyway.
From experience I know that there the number of times you can dissasemble and assemble these things is limited.

There is one consideration, my insurance covers the damage, except for 250 euro 'own-risk' The parts are less than 250 euro.

Before replacing I will test the lens better to be sure it is only the front element that broke. Because I think I am in trouble when there is some hidden damage.

Any tips to test a zoom?

It's an expensive lens. If you have insurance I'd look at putting in a claim for a full replacement paying the 250 euro excess over a taking the risk of trying to repair it yourself.

I guess the upside is that if it was sent for "repair" then it should afterwards be fully restored "as new" and you would be covered if there was further damage in body or if it's not economical to fix. I don't know enough about lens to feel confident to repair one myself and the damage from the photo looks pretty significant.

As I recall, replacing the front element isn't always that expensive. Years ago my local rental house stopped sending out expensive 2/3" Fuji & canon zoom lenses withy UV protective filters because people just took them off and and threw them anywhere. They said replacing the filters repeatedly was much less expensive than sometimes getting a lens element replaced. You might look into it. A front scratch is not good! Whatever you do , make sure it comes back parfocal.

I had a similar thing happen to me at a wedding reception the plate was on backwards when I raised the camera up on a mono pod to get above the crowd the camera slide off and hit the front element. The uv filter didn't protect the front element, in fact the opposite, shattering pitting the front element. UV filters still aren't bad they are more for protecting from sharp thing rubbing up against your glass. The rental company charged me nearly $600 to replace the front element.

Last edited:
Years ago my local rental house stopped sending out expensive 2/3" Fuji & canon zoom lenses withy UV protective filters because people just took them off and and threw them anywhere.

Back in the Betacam days my Fujinon ENG lens took a direct hit from a Lacrosse ball directly right into the front of the lens at full speed. I saw the glass shatter through the viewfinder and figured I'd just destroyed my $20K lens. And just as importantly, what the hell was I going to do for the rest of the shoot that day? But upon closer inspection it was only the Tiffin Soft F/X filter that shattered. It came right off the lens and I went back to shooting. I stil have that filter someplace. I never did get a copy of the footage from the client, though.

Last edited:
well it seems we have good cases both for and against using a protective front filter. I'm agnostic myself. I usually don't have one but it depends on what i'm shooting and what the environment is. Outdoors I would tend to use one more than inside. especially in dusty windy environments on the beach. Regardless I still think the OP should check out replacing his front element . That can produce nasty flares.

Back