Modification to reinforce stock handle

Kraut69

Less than $20 for parts:
6" 1/4X20 hx hd full threaded bolt (don't know if6" will work but the 5" bolt I used was barely long enough)--EDIT: 6" is a little too long, you would have to cut it off)
1/4X20 hex nut (one)--edit: quantity 2
1/4X20 square nuts
5/8"X2-1/8" hex coupler
1/4X20 lock washer (one)--edit 2
1/4X20 flat washer (one)
3/8" set screw (two 3/8" long)
1/4" set scew (two 5/8" long, two 3/8" long)
black paint
foam tubing (edit: mine came off of a cheap metal broom handle)
tall gas shock mount on EBAY:description: Columbia Gas Shock Strut Prop Spring TALL Right Angle Bracket Mounting Plate 10m ($3.49 + $3.10 shipping)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220972066114?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Reverse the handle for the standard position, remove the endcap.
Drill out he ball mount on the gas shock bracket,and the twoholes to mount to studs inserted into the camera ( holes on the bracket line upabout perfectly and the upper hole where the ball mount is, is dead on thecenter of the Sony tube).
Hammer in a square nut to one end of the 5/8" X 2-1/8coupler (as straight as possible) .
Insert the5"-6" bolt into the shockbracket (edit: with a lock washer), spin on the hex coupler fromthe other side of the bracket to lockthe bolt on the bracket.
Put a 1/4X20 washer , lock washer and a hex nut on the otherend of the hex coupler and tighten down (Edit: you will have to use a square nut here, the hex nut wont fit into the Sony tube)
Paint, put a piece of foam tubing over the hex coupler.
Thread as many square nuts onto the the bolt as you want,position so a group ends up where the 1/4" and 3/8" threaded holesare on the Sony handle (a 5" bolt only gets half way across the threadedholes, but good enough). Secure with two 3/8" set screws and two 1/4" set screws into thehandle.
I feel more secure now lifting my 18 lb shoulder rig. LCD screen tilts in a workable fashion , notof real concern with a shoulder mount rig since an external LCD is used. Maybe a mod to the design could help make it100% positionable.

IMG_8355.JPG
IMG_8378.JPGIMG_8374.JPGIMG_8372.JPGIMG_8363.JPGIMG_8361.JPGIMG_8360.JPG
IMG_8359.JPGIMG_8358.JPGIMG_8357.JPG

Last edited:
That's awesome! You guys make me look cheap. I already had a bicycle grip and a bolt to go through it so I only spent 5 bucks at Lowes for some flat steel. Drilled it and bent it then I coated it with spay plastic dip to give it a rubber coating. It serves me well and acts as somewhat of a guard for the LCD when I'm chasing animals through the woods and I can still use the loupe no problem.

Handle1.jpgHandle2.jpgHandle3.jpgHandle4.jpg

genius 2! I can do this, what screws are those that you used, I am to DIY as was King Herod to childcare!

Just a couple 1/4 x 20 pan head screws. I'm sure a couple allen black pan heads would look better. I did cut them to length for the depth. I also cut a small piece of aluminum tubing and wrapped in tape to fit snug in the bicycle grip with a 5/16" all thread through it and two cap nuts on the ends. It is very sturdy and seems to fit the bill just fine. Just make sure you heat the steel stock as you bend it to keep from cracking it at the bends. Pretty simple to make and even if you didn't have the scrap, you'd still likely be under 10 bucks.

Yeah, if you're running around with just the camera and the kit lens, the stock handle is fine but once you add anything you're getting on thin ice with it. So many variations of how people set up their cameras, so we see many different solutions. I'm happy with mine and definitely with the cost but I really like Kraut69's, functional and looks great. The production level solutions are pretty awesome but pricey and when you're still building kits you have to get creative.

Woody the design on your handle is simple, yet looks to be exactly what the doctor ordered. Yes, the stock "handle" is a joke and there are times I'm leery about grabbing the cam from that point.

If you are back in your workshop soon I'd pay you to build me one, as I don't have the time or skill to do myself.

Woody the design on your handle is simple, yet looks to be exactly what the doctor ordered. Yes, the stock "handle" is a joke and there are times I'm leery about grabbing the cam from that point.

If you are back in your workshop soon I'd pay you to build me one, as I don't have the time or skill to do myself.

Let me see what I've got laying around Scott. I might already have everything but the cap nuts and the bolts. I can't promise a fast turn around but I'm sure I can put one together in the next week or two. You can email me at woody.sanford@gmail.com

hi Woody,
you are using small battery for Sony LCD or external power with cable?
I have similar setup but have problem with large battery for the LCD.

Back