MKH-416 or the CS3e

there are three situation where I rather have a 416 on the boom than a CS-3
- Shooting in the Empire State Building, where the RF packed environment kills everything but Sennheiser RF microphones. Haven't tried the NTG-3.
- If I'm shooting in a super quiet environment on the jungle for more than a day and I'm working with dual system. The toughness of the 416 plus it's lower floor noise will do a better job than the hissy Sanken.
- The same than before but on top of that I need to record some VO on the spot. The relative thin sound of the Sanken is not as good for VO as the fat proximity effect of the 416.

Everywhere else I would go with CS-3, but if you can swing it add a use 416 to uour kit .

I haven't tried the Octava, I don't like them, but I did some shoot in a reverberant interior with neumann Km 185 and NTG-3. The NTG-3 was usable sound, the Neumann km185 was great sound.

I haven't tried the Octava, I don't like them, but I did some shoot in a reverberant interior with neumann Km 185 and NTG-3. The NTG-3 was usable sound, the Neumann km185 was great sound.

This is what I expect also... which is still saying a lot, considering most shotguns in this price-range won't give a comparable result.

Back