Interchangeable lens video camera for the price of an EOS R50. Possible?

sleroux

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here for a very loooong time. It's nice to see the forum is still alive.

I am a computer sciences teacher, and I record educational videos, mainly in the "talking head" style, with a lot of screen captures and a few close-ups. I film using a Legria HF G25 camcorder and a webcam or my smartphone for close-ups. It is "studio" work, and I usually work all by myself.

The camcorder is good for my usage and has great features like over exposition zebras, focus assistance, and, very valuable to me, a flippable monitor and an IR telecommand so I can record myself. H264 recording is sufficient for my needs.

I want to upgrade my setup with an interchangeable lens camera so I can use the same body for all my work. I did not follow closely the market evolution in the past years, but after some research, the Canon EOS R50 or M50 mark II appears to have the features I am looking for and a price range that suits my budget. These camera bodies also have 4K recording capabilities, which are not mandatory to me, but that would make them relatively future-proof.

HOWEVER, I think it is unfortunate to buy a camera packed with many still photography features that will never be used. Can I find an interchangeable lens camera designed specifically for video recording in that price range? FWIW, I am not against using an external recorder—even at the cost of increasing my budget in that case: it would also be useful for screen grabbing through HDMI. Or am I wrong?

–Sylvain

Something that would fit the bill and offer proper XLR audio inputs for your audio, and that can shoot in a number of different codecs, including codecs that can record up to 4K 50/60p. Its screen can be flipped for self shooting. The camera has all your exposure tools like Zebras, WFM, and Histograms, if you use them. And it can be controlled via its supplied remote control. It is a used Sony FS7. These days there are heaps of them appearing on eBay between $1000 and $2000. Very often with cards and batteries. Such as this one starting at $1,500. A lot of camera for a good price and a camera that can produce very decent images.

Chris Young

https://shorturl.at/nRT45

Something that would fit the bill and offer proper XLR audio inputs for your audio, and that can shoot in a number of different codecs, including codecs that can record up to 4K 50/60p. Its screen can be flipped for self shooting. The camera has all your exposure tools like Zebras, WFM, and Histograms, if you use them. And it can be controlled via its supplied remote control. It is a used Sony FS7. These days there are heaps of them appearing on eBay between $1000 and $2000. Very often with cards and batteries. Such as this one starting at $1,500. A lot of camera for a good price and a camera that can produce very decent images.

Chris Young

https://shorturl.at/nRT45

I was blown away by the Sony FS7 when they first came out. The fact that you can now get one for so cheap is an amazing buy for someone who doesn't need the latest and greatest tech. (Which is probably most of us if we're being totally honest.)

I was blown away by the Sony FS7 when they first came out. The fact that you can now get one for so cheap is an amazing buy for someone who doesn't need the latest and greatest tech. (Which is probably most of us if we're being totally honest.)

Exactamudo! :thumbup: If you want a refresh overview on the FS7, take a look at CVP's retro look at the camera.

Chris Young

Back