Increasing spam is a bummer. Anything I/we can do to help with that?

Jim Feeley

I like a lot about the new dvxuser software. But the amount of spam is getting to be a drag. This morning especially. I typically just ignore that stuff, but the number of bot/spam posts appears to be growing. I've administered and moderated various web forums and email lists over the decades, so at some level, I know what a hassle it is to deal with that stuff. Can I help?

Moderators, I don't see a "report post" option. Am I just not seeing it?

Would you like another person or two to help flag, moderate, or ban new members who appear to not be using dvxuser for its intended focus? If so, I'm willing to help.

Or should I just donate some money so you can appeared to buy some software or hire someone?

Thanks,

Jim

I moderate on a forum, it requires regular checking for the posts that get past the spam filter. Fortunately, spammers tend to follow a similar M.O., so they can be spotted, although some will edit in their spam at a later date or hide their spam in a hidden link, requiring an eye to be kept on them for up to a month.

BTW I've just noticed spam, which I've reported.

What you need to do Jim is design an unbreakable captcha! (unfortunately this is impossible.... or at least, impossible to design without also excluding a lot of humans too)

With groups.io, which I use to run a 2400-member list, there's an option to have the first or first few messages by new member to require approval from a moderator before appearing on the list. I have it set so the first two messages from new members must be approved. That's a slight burden, but really does help us keep out scammers and spammers before they reach the whole community

I don't know if XenForo, which apparently is being used to run dvxuser, has similar features. But if it does and if the moderators want help dealing with that sort of thing, I bet several of us (including me) are willing to pitch in.

Also: I now see the Report bell. I'll try to remember to use that. Especially for wiseacres such IronMan and NorBro. 🤣

NorBro is grandfathered in…IronFilm used to be a Zoom spambot, but I think he’s been reprogrammed. I’d be willing to help this cause. They crossed a line with that greatest athlete post and then went onto talking about race car drivers…please. Where’s DLD when you need him?!?

Since we all will be replaced by bots sooner than later, I think we should get to know them a bit more before we judge them. ;)
I, however, already have opinions about the remaining members left standing here. :p

Hi, folks. There’s a spam filter on this platform that’s doing a pretty spectacular job. But no system is perfect, and I’m sure there are some that the filter isn’t catching. It’s also entirely possible that some spam accounts were already here (prior to the platform change) and lying dormant for a good long while before posting. If you see a spam post, please report it and it will be deleted as quickly as possible. Thanks!

NorBro is grandfathered in…IronFilm used to be a Zoom spambot, but I think he’s been reprogrammed.
lol what? Since when have I been a Zoom "spambot"
And when did I get reprogrammed? 😆🤣 😂 (my views about Zoom today in 2024 are the same as they were in 2017)

Since we all will be replaced by bots sooner than later, I think we should get to know them a bit more before we judge them. ;)
I for one worship and admire our very kind and generous future AI overlords. (please don't kill me)

NorBro is grandfathered in…IronFilm used to be a Zoom spambot, but I think he’s been reprogrammed. I’d be willing to help this cause. They crossed a line with that greatest athlete post and then went onto talking about race car drivers…please. Where’s DLD when you need him?!?
good to see you around! :)

Yeah I just noticed this switch to Xenforo from vB. Never even heard of it before. But I used to run a vBulletin filmmaking community around 2001. It's been decades now since I have.
Just curious when the switch happened and why. I do like this new layout and the software seems to be working fine.

Hi, folks. There’s a spam filter on this platform that’s doing a pretty spectacular job. But no system is perfect, and I’m sure there are some that the filter isn’t catching. It’s also entirely possible that some spam accounts were already here (prior to the platform change) and lying dormant for a good long while before posting. If you see a spam post, please report it and it will be deleted as quickly as possible. Thanks!

I looks like on XenForo, the software used here, you can have the first posts from new users moderated:

New user restrictions#

For the purposes of this example, all members will have their first five posts pre-moderated.

After that they will be promoted into a new user group which will allow them to post freely.

This is a typical use for user group promotions, to allow moderators to vet all initial posts by new members and catch any potential spammers.

Groups.io (where I run a fairly big list) and some other services offer similar features and it's really useful. I have the feature set to moderate a new users first two posts, and then they're moved to non moderation. One possible catch would be if existing dvxuser members can't be "grandfathered" in to the "post freely" group and must also go through the moderation process.

But with a few extra moderators, and considering that like most forums way more people read than post, that could get sorted in a couple of weeks. Again, I'm willing to help with that.

Jim
PS- I'm also willing to send some financial support to dvxuser, if that's possible.

Last edited:
Look on the bright side the forum hasn’t had these many new members and site traffic since the spammers came. Must help with ad revenue and traffic statistics

On a forum I moderate, there are new spam tools - all new members get their details matched to a database, and it's amazing how many matches the software catches - lists of banned members, dodgy servers and posts that other forums have had issues with. It's a xenforo site, but I suspect the action is from a plug-in. Even in this Nord VPN day - it still seems to warn us about some new sign ups. If we ban people, their details get added to the database.

On a forum I moderate, we've implemented new spam tools that analyze details of all new members against a comprehensive database. It's astonishing how effective this software is at catching matches—whether it's identifying banned members, flagging suspicious servers, or highlighting posts that have caused issues on other forums. Our site runs on XenForo, and while I suspect a plugin is behind these actions, the system remains vigilant even in the era of Nord VPN, providing warnings about potentially problematic new sign-ups. When we ban individuals, their details are promptly added to our database, further bolstering our defenses.
Word Counter in enhancing their writing and editing processes, especially on forums, I recommend utilizing tools like
Character Count to ensure your posts are concise and within limits.
SEO Analysis tools can help optimize content for search engines, while Text Analysis and Text Statistics provide deeper insights into your writing style. The Online Editor offers a convenient platform for real-time editing, and tools like Typing Speed and Word Count Check streamline the writing process, ensuring clarity and compliance with forum guidelines.

Back