GH4 GH4 Downsample 4K to 1080p 10-bit 4:4:4

This has apparently been demonstrated by others re: the article I cited at the beginning of this thread.

I would like to stick to my normal workflow; 1)Premiere for editing and 2) After Effects for correction and grading.
Should I be doing it the other way around?
In other words - what should my workflow be to maintain highest quality?
Will it do any good use Mpeg Streamclip to transcode instead of AE?

Last edited:
I have a GH4 and a HC-x1000. Tests I've done seem fully in sync with what Barry said. On the GH4 there is a big (to my mind anyway) difference in sharpness between UHD and HD when UHD is put into an HD sequence in PP. On the HC-X1000 UHD is still better than HD but not by too much - much less difference than the GH4 showed. I tried a variety of frame and bit rates and these differences were always there.

I thought it's been pretty much agreed there's no point to doing this other than having really sharp 1080p?

Think of it this way: You're not going to get 14 bit TIFFs from your DSLRs by taking an 16 megapixel 8 bit JEPG and downsizing it to a 4 megapixel image.

I thought it's been pretty much agreed there's no point to doing this other than having really sharp 1080p?

Think of it this way: You're not going to get 14 bit TIFFs from your DSLRs by taking an 16 megapixel 8 bit JEPG and downsizing it to a 4 megapixel image.

Yeah that is kind of the point however. To have really darn good looking 1080p which 99% of the people here and in the world are delivering with. Most big budget FX heavy Hollywood films even edit and do their FX at 2k. We are talking compositing, rotoscoping, motion tracking and editing. The insistence of the indie community to do everything at 4k is hilarious. In the end it doesn't really help your end product become any better. What shooting 4k does do however is give a 1080p or 2k delivery that would typically be hard to achieve with a 1080p camera on its own.

This isn't a situation where we want or need 14 bit TIFFs but where we want our delivery product to be as clean as possible. Since most pros, even Hollywood deliver and distribute to theaters as 1080p or 2k it makes sense for film makers to utilize 4k to achieve the best 2k results. This isn't just a GH4 thing but a common method for a lot of 4k cameras. Sure this may change in the future but if there are thousands of stunning Hollywood films that look exceptional at 2k then what is the big deal really. I have a hard time thinking people will someday judge the Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy as low quality movies just because they happen to be mastered at 2k. I'm willing to bet they still look better than most of the low budget 4k stuff out there. There is just too much obsession over resolution today.

If you have to deliver at 1080p you have a choice of doing a crappy down convert or spending the time to create a high quality down convert.

I shoot all my handheld work in 1080p to reduce rolling shutter artifacts and so far have not received a single complaint from the Editors about moire.

Their major complaint with the footage concerns the Timecode glitch.

Is the GH4 in 1080p mode at least as good as the GH2/3 @ 1080p?

As far as I know it is identical. Same exact process used to process the full sensor down to 1080p. Now the sensor itself may be slightly newer on the GH4 but as far as I can remember it is the same sensor or at least a very similar sensor. I beleive it was the faster CPU's in the GH4 that allowed it to readout the 4k pixels from the sensor and encode the 4k video.

1080p recording should be more or less the same from the GH4 and GH3. Well excluding the ability to use 200mbps with the GH4 while the GH3 is limited to 72mbps for i frame only recording.

Back